Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geekygurl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Works but then turns off gives no signal erro
    I have a Gateway GT5662 Quad-core running Vista Home Premuim. ATI Radeon HD 2400XT Graphics Card and a AMD Phenom 9500 processor. I have a 24" Gateway HD monitor. This computer is under 1 yr old and under waranty so it limits what I can do to check out the problem.

About three days ago the computer was running and everything working fine. The monitor suddenly shows some horizonital streaks, blacks out and then shows no signal and shuts off. When I rebooted it worked fine for a bit and did it again. So I restarted in safe mode... ran msconfig and turned off all start up items and rebooted thinking it might be something it was trying to start. I worked fine for most of the day but eventually did it again. I turned it off manually again and ran it in safe mode for the next day to see if it would do it in safe mode and it does not. I ran start up repair and checked for memory errors... ran all other diagnostics that I know of. :( Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
    Kristi
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jan 18, 2009, 09:28 PM

This does not sound like a software or firmware issue. The monitor hardware may be the cause. Gateway has a pretty good support policy. Contact their help desk for a replacement monitor if it is still in warranty.

Jan 19, 2009, 04:19 PM
    If the monitor were going out then it would do it in safe mode as well. I have had it up and running in safe mode fine for 24 hrs now and it hasn't done it at all. It has to be something else.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 06:06 PM

Do you have access to another computer, see if you could attach it to another one and start in normal mode to see if same thing happens

99% of time, no signal would either be the monitor going bad or the video card

Do you have special software for your video card, when using safe mode, windows uses a generic VGA driver and not software that may have been installed for it

Jan 20, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Hey, thanks for the info... most useful I've had yet. I checked on the driver that it is running now (in normal mode) and it is a generic PnP driver version 6.0.6001.18000. Doesn't sound like that would be it. I finally got it to restore to a previous date, but I'm not positive it is older than the problem although, since the restore I haven't had the problem... yet. Still waiting...

Thanks so much for your help! :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 06:29 AM
    You may want to download the latest drivers for your card/model, uninstall the current drivers and install the new drivers: Gateway Support - Drivers, Software and Firmware Updates
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 06:33 AM

And it can be a problem with the memory card or card holder.

Had very similar issues and after replacing a bad card, it worked
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 09:52 AM

Hope that was it, you may want to run a malware program just in case there is something on the PC you may not be aware of

I would recommend malwarebytes, you can use this for free without having to purchase

Malwarebytes.org

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer turns then it stops I turn the barrel it turns . [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have a Fisher and paykel model no. ED56AU when starting it sometimes I need to turn the barrel a few times to get it going or run it empty first for a while to make it work and even then I still have to turn the... thing a few times. It heats it drys but its getting worse lately

Amana 80 SSE Heating - works for 5 seconds then turns off [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Amana 80 SSE heater. I read through the site and found out that I had no blinking series of lights - everything seems fine. I took an air can and cleaned out the flame sensor and it worked fine for a few days but now it is back to the same old problem - turns on and lights up for 5...

Erro 008 [ 1 Answers ]

Olá a todos, ando às voltas com o meu gmail,o que se passa é aue, quendo tento enviar um anexo junto com uma mensagem, aparece uma janela a dizer que aconteceu um erro 008. Alguém me sabe dizer como é que resolvo este assunto? Obrigada.

Tran XB80 error message Pressure Switch erro [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pressure switch error on my Tran furnance- this is causing no call for heat. I replaced the pressure switch and that seemed to work for a couple of days, now its not calling for heat and Im getting the same error. I've cleaned out the drain hose and made sure there are no obstructions. ...

Blower turns on and off / flame works fine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Luxaire Delux High Efficiency Furnace (PBNU-LD12N1000)that probably isn't to efficient since it's about 15 years old. I recently bought a new home and have had trouble with the blower in the furnace turning off before the house is heated to the correct temp. It will then turn itself back...

View more questions Search