Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiaBinta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Photography student
    Hi am supposed to start my 2 year photography course in a few days and I am really excited I can't wait. Problem is the only campus is 1200km away from home. I am 20 years old and the only child so my parents are not keen. They are afraid that I will fail to survive on a waiters income. I also can not find a place to stay close enough to campus,I do not have a drivers license so that is also a problem. I was looking forward to the experience but my parents robbed me of that with all the worries and insecurities. My boyfriend stays close to campus and we have been in this long distance relationship for a year. They think that this has a lot to do with him but it doesn't, this has been my dream for 12 years. I am really good at what I do and would just like to have something to show people when they ask me if I am professional.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jan 18, 2009, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiaBinta View Post
    Hi am supposed to start my 2 year photography course in a few days and i am really excited i can't wait. Problem is the only campus is 1200km away from home. I am 20 years old and the only child so my parents are not keen. They are afraid that i will fail to survive on a waiters income. I also can not find a place to stay close enough to campus,i do not have a drivers license so that is also a problem. I was looking forward to the experience but my parents robbed me of that with all the worries and insecurities. My boyfriend stays close to campus and we have been in this long distance relationship for a year. They think that this has a lot to do with him but it doesn't, this has been my dream for 12 years. I am really good at what i do and would just like to have something to show people when they ask me if i am professional.
    Many students survive just fine on a waiter's income, as long as the tuition isn't too expensive. (If your tuition is expensive, apply for grants and loans!) For inexpensive transportation, get an inexpensive (used) bike and a good backpack to carry your books (and camera). Once you start classes you may also find a classmate who lives closer to campus who needs a room-mate and be able to move closer to campus.

After you start school, check in with a school counselor. Explain your parents worries and ask the counselor for advice on how to proceed, what steps and cautions you should take to help ensure success. If possible, make regular appointments to check in with the counselor during your first semester. This will help you gain confidence that you are on track, and you can use your counselor's advice to help answer your parents and soothe their worries.

You didn't say where you are located, I might be able to give more tips if I know where you are going to school.

Good luck with the photography!
    BiaBinta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 11:04 PM
    I will be attending Vega communications college in Cape Town and am from North-West. I have a car and a friend with a license who wants to go with me for work and he will drive me to and from campus. My parents don't want to give us the car as he is 26 and they do not know him. They also think I will drive around with the car but I am not irresponsible and know what will happen if I do.

They say if he gets in to trouble with the car that is in my dads ame my dad will have to take the blame in court and pay the damages.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jan 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiaBinta View Post
    I will be attending Vega communications college in Cape Town and am from North-West. I have a car and a friend with a license who wants to go with me for work and he will drive me to and from campus. My parents dont want to give us the car as he is 26 and they do not know him. They also think i will drive around with the car but I am not irresponsible and know what will happen if I do.

They say if he gets in to trouble with the car that is in my dads ame my dad will have to take the blame in court and pay the damages.
    This car problem really isn't a photography problem, but I do see your parent's point of view here. They don't know this man, and so they don't want to let him drive their car. Since you aren't a licensed driver they are not convinced you would be entirely impartial if there's an issue where he shouldn't be driving. I have a friend with a teenage daughter who made some very poor choices with an older friend and letting him drive her car. Her father was NOT happy. They were all very lucky that no one was charged with a crime due to how things worked out. She (the daughter) had to spend 2 days in the custody of Child Protective Services due to the incident that occurred when the young man drove her and her car. Can you see why your parents are concerned?

I suggest you look harder at finding housing closer to campus or use a bicycle for your transportation. You are trying to fight too many battles all at once here - your parents don't want you going off to college, they worry about how you will support yourself, and they don't want to have an unknown young man driving their car.

Pick your battles - what is more important, going to school or having this person drive your parent's car? You may ruin the whole thing by pushing too hard on the car issue. If you *really* want to be a photographer you won't risk it all over this disagreement with your parents about the car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

How to Get Into Pro Photography! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! Well after taking time for myself I finally decided I want to go into the field of photography I really enjoy taking photos and decided I want to make a career out of what I like to do! I take pictures with my digital cam and that's as much as I no to do lol I was wondering what I...

Car Photography. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a huge fan of cars, and I love taking pictures. Feel free to post pictures of your cars! :D

View more questions Search