Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1shams112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 10:55 AM
    How is a retirement account hardship withdrawal done?
    Hello,
    I am 50 years old. I am employed with government agency. But in a kind of financial mess right now due to mismanaging and gambling my money. I have now credit card debts, personal debt, and car payment. All my debts amount to about $77,000. I have however 3 retirement account. Those have about $110,000 total in them. I am literally broke at this point. I am at a point that doesn’t have my next rent payment. And was wondering if I can make an early withdrawal of all me retirement savings at this point. I am ready to make early penalty and taxes in order to get my life back on the track. Am I entitled to hardship early withdrawal from my own retirement account? Do you know approximately how much in taxes and penalty I will be charged?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 11:33 AM

I don't know what your "hardship" would be as I don't think gambling and mismanageent would be eligible. Yes, you can happily withdraw all your money if you wish. You may have to just withdraw all the money and close the accounts. No, I don't know what your particular penalties are going to be. You will have to contact whoever has your retirement accounts and ask them these questions as each financial institution has different penalty percentages.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2009, 11:37 AM

Depends on the type of retirement account. Not all types allow early withdrawals. And you don't really qualify for a hardship withdrawal.

I would suggest consulting with your paln admins to see what options you have.

I can tell you, if you do take the money out, it will be costing you a great deal of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS Regulation for hardship withdrawal of retirement to pay them [ 2 Answers ]

According to IRS regulations, can I get an early hardship withdrawal from my retirement account which both myself and my employer have contributed to, in order to pay back taxes (mainly 941 taxes) from my husbands business? All input will be greatly appreciated and if you know what written...

Hardship withdrawal to pay IRS taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a hardship withdrawal from fidelity to pay back Federal Taxes?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

Hardship withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, What kind of documentation is needed to prove a hardship. I am in danger of being evicted by my landlord. My credit cards are maxed, my bills and expenses for myself and my dependents is beyond my income. What steps do I need to do to get this hardship proved and how long is the...

Information on "Hardship Withdrawal" from Retirement Plan [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My husband who is 44 yrs old just lost his job & is having a hard time finding another one. He worked for this company for about 2 1/2 years & has accumulated a little money in his retirement account. The only money we currently have coming in is my child support which is a far cry...

View more questions Search