Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rentmyhouse Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Can I use 3500 watt water heater elements to replace 3800 watts?
    I haven't actually pulled the elements yet but the tag on the water heater shows elements rated at 3800 watts. The ones readily available at the local big box are even numbered, 3500, 4500,5500.
    Can I use the 3500 watt rated elements to replace elements in this water heater?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 08:42 PM

Yep.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 09:23 PM

Like KISS said: yes you can. Only one thing I'd like to add: if you decide to install 5500 watt element in place of the original, 3500 watt element, than you have to make sure your breakers and wiring are big enough to handle the extra load.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 18, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rentmyhouse View Post
    I haven't actually pulled the elements yet but the tag on the water heater shows elements rated at 3800 watts. The ones readily available at the local big box are even numbered, 3500, 4500,5500.
    Can I use the 3500 watt rated elements to replace elements in this water heater?
    Yes you may. The average 40 gallon water heater comes with 45oo watt eloements that pull 19 amps. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat for 240V, 5000 Watt electric space heater [ 6 Answers ]

I have a garage electric heater (without thermostat) which I want to wire to a thermostat. The heater is rated 240 volt, 5000 Watt. First, can you suggest any particular thermostat that will handle this line load (I've only been able to find ones that handle up to approx. 3800 Watts) and, lastly,...

Dual-system water heater: how long do they last, how much to replace? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I own a condominium that I've been renting for many years. It has a dual-system water heater (if I understand correctly it also heats the condo as well as the water?). I've had the same unit since the condo was new in December 1996. We've had to call in a plumber twice in the last...

Need a 220v +4000 heater watt heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find a 220v wall mounted or stand heater that pushes more than 4000 heater watts for my parents small home. Ive looked all over. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please! Thank you

VFK484, Berko Wall Heater, 4800 Watt, 240 Volt, High Capacity, with Built-in t'stat [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased this Berko VFK 484 Wall heater. The specs are here: http://thermalinc.com/comfort/PDFs/vfk.pdf I have a double pole 20 amp circuit. I have 12 2 wire which I will use the black and white both as hot wires for the 240 volt connection. To achieve 240 volt connection, how...

220 v hot water heater elements problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a standard run of the mill 40 gallon 220v 2-element electric hot water heater that is now giving me all kinds of problems. It is only 8 yrs old and has worked great. There are only 2 people in this householld to use this water heater. In the past 14 months, I have developed dark water...

View more questions Search