Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Billy Bob Wayne Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Cut off Mysterious pipe below floor level.
    Two part question. 1. A almost new house, a 4" PVC pipe 1/2 inch above the concrete basement floor has something in it that looks like it turns but won't. Pipe has a cap on it. What the heck is it? 2. I would like to cut it off just BELOW the floor level and put the cap back on it so the floor can be carpeted. Any ideas? BBW
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Hey Billy-Bob,

"1. A almost new house, a 4" PVC pipe 1/2 inch above the concrete basement floor has something in it that looks like it turns but won't. Pipe has a cap on it. What the heck is it?"

This is a rough in for a toilet.

" 2. I would like to cut it off just BELOW the floor level and put the cap back on it so the floor can be carpeted."

This can be done as you've described. However I would make sure that the cap you install under the pour is a permanent cap and not a test cap. Good luck, Tom

Jul 30, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Probably should have mentioned that plumbing for a complete bath is roughed in elsewhere and am in the process of installing same. This pipe is out in the middle of a large area. Can't make out what it is down inside it that looks like it should turn. Also wondering how to cut it off below floor level. Top of pipe is cut off square so cap sits level now. BBW
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Hey Billy-Bob,

Sounds like it may be a clean-out. You have options here. You can cut the pipe below the floor line using a inside PVC pipe cutter, (see image) and install a cleanout cover or you can cap it off and carpet over it. Good luck, Tom

Jul 30, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Cleanout is probably what it is. I'm going to look for the cutter. Thanks. BBW

Jul 30, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Now I'm thnking it is more likely a back flow device in the sewer line. I have looked at a couple flapper valve type back flow valves and they have a removable top. That may be what I'm seeing about a foot down.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob Wayne
    Now I'm thnking it is more likely a back flow device in the sewer line. I have looked at a couple flapper valve type back flow valves and they have a removable top. That may be what I'm seeing about a foot down.
    I don't know. As a rule when we install a sewage back flow device we don't bury it under the cement. It's installed out the house just ahead of the cleanout on the house side. If your sewer's going to back up we like to keep it outside the house. Regards, tom

Jul 30, 2006, 07:34 PM
    I can understand that, and I saw pictures showing back flow valves outside. That's logical. It's a mystery. It's my son's house, 22 months old, and they bought it without much information from the previous owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

Best concrete to use to level floor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I covered a concrete patio and am now is used as a sunroom. The room is 10' by 10' and slopes 2". I would prefer to have a level floor. I see there are self leveling products but I don't think that is necessary as I can trowel concrete no problem. Is it OK to us basic concrete without...

Floor tile over steam pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a steam radiator relocated in a bathrom that is being renovated. The plumber ran a copper pipe to the radiator, leaving so little clearance above it that the ceramic floor tile will be touching the pipe directly. Is that OK? WIll the tile crack as the pipe heats up with steam? Thanks,

Toilet flange below the floor level- URGENT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I just quickly reviewed all postings here trying to see if I can find an anwer to my question, but some things are too difficult for me to understand, as I am not familiar with the whole subject. I hired a plumber to install a new toilet in half a bath in the basement. The old toilet...

Level Basement Floor? [ 2 Answers ]

Am finishing roughed-in bathroom in basement. Studded walls already. Need to level basement floor but it's off as much as 1" in places. The stuff you pour isn't going to level to that degree, is it? Thanks for any replies- Vicki T

View more questions Search