Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1niceman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Planter and pedestal
    Hello, I'm Byron

I and my family have a dilema we have been trying to resolve for years. As a child my Grandmother used to help one of her aunts clean a planter and pedestal that was given to them by some people they were domestics for. When she was older and they passed on it was given to her. This was given to her daughter my aunt who has passed it along to me. This has been going on for over 100 years so I know this thiing is really old.

The markings on it say is was made by "Rorstrand". I know you folks are familiar with them and I researched as well. They are the oldest china manufactures in Europe. I sent them picture of this and they have no record of ever making anyting like this but it has their stamp on it and some sort of brush stroke signature. They knew nothing about it?

I got a book from the library on the company and in a picture of the original owner sitting in his office, there is something that resembles it in the background??

Anyway, the pictures are attached and I hope someboby can tell me if this is a real deal or if I should just fill it with dirt and continue to plant flowers.

Heeeelp!!

Byron
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 04:13 AM

Hi, 1niceman!

The style of it looks very similar to the one that you will find by clicking on the following image search.

Rorstrand porcelain pedestal made in Sweden

So, given that you say that it's as old as it is, then I'm inclined to say that it's the real thing and also worth quite a lot of money.

However, to be absolutely sure, it would be best to be taking it to an antique dealer or auction service that might specialize in such things.

Without us being able to see it in-person, it makes it hard to tell.

However, if it is the real thing, then I congratulate you on having something like this!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pedestal Sink Question [ 2 Answers ]

The question I am asking you have already partially answered it has to do with a pedestal sink in a basement with a floor drain. You stated that you would need the distance of the pipe from the wall and the distance of the sink drain from the wall. Sink drain - is about 8.5 inches and the main...

Pedestal fan not working [ 1 Answers ]

My pedestal fan Hampton Bay FS 21-45 stopped working. Power seems to be running from the switch to motor. How can I find out /measure/ if motor is dead? I don't want to throw it away. Thanks.

Adding pedestal drain [ 4 Answers ]

need to cut in the pedestal sink drain into the 3" drain coming down from second floor. The trap will be just to the left of the pipe pictured. I'm figuring on just a 3x3x1.5 san T and a long 90 coming out of the wall. But it seems like I always get tripped up on the seemingly simple stuff. We are...

Pedestal sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello My husband and I are renovating our master bath, we'd like to take the small sink that we currently have and install 2 pedestal sinks, his and hers, but the problem is that we have never seen this done anywhere else, we always see doble vanities but never 2 pedestals sinks design. We...

Sink pedestal to go around pipes 8 in. Apart [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any sink pedestals out there that have open backs (I know Kohler does not) that can fit around pipes that come out of the floor that are 8 in. apart. The inside of the pedestal base would have to measure 8 or more inches in order to fit around the pipes. We know we can use a vanity...

View more questions Search