Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevins432 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Kenmore Microwave has Fluxuating Power
    I have a Kenmore (over the oven) Microwave Oven, Model #721.81623600 that, whenever we use it, the power fluxuates.
    The lights, LCD and fan dims on the unit then regains it's full power again then everything dims and slows down again. This senario continues the whole time the microwave is running.
    The units on it's own 20 Amp circuit breaker so I know there's no other draw on it's current.
    I'm trying to figure out if it's the microwave or the circuit breaker itself. Does anyone have any ideas to help me determine how to this problem?
    The units built in 2006 and was pretty expensive as microwaves go. Of course the 1 year warranty from Kenmore has expired. Just my luck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 06:05 PM

Unfortunately, it could be either a loose connection (outlet, wiring, bad breaker or the microwave.

Measuring the voltage at the microwave/microwave outlet would be the first order of business.

Measuring the current drawn with a clamp ammeter would be the second order.

That would determine if it's microwave or wiring.

The High voltage capacitor or magnatron would be my first suspect.

Jan 19, 2009, 08:51 AM

I used a meter at the outlet and it was 123-130Volts. I plugged the microwave into another outlet via an extension cord and it worked fine. No power fluxuations. I replaced the ciruit breaker and it is working fine now. Whew... I thought it was going to be a problem with the $500.00 plus microwave. Problem solved with a $4.00 circuit breaker. Thanks for your input.
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 02:18 PM

Glad it worked out. I'll have to remember the extension cord trick.

FWIW: You could have measured the voltage across the terminals of the breaker while the microwave was on, but his is a difficult measurement to do. A large voltage across the breaker when it's closed indicates a contact resistance problem.

Jan 20, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Glad it worked out. I'll have to remember the extension cord trick.

FWIW: You could have measured the voltage across the terminals of the breaker while the microwave was on, but his is a difficult measurement to do. A large voltage across the breaker when it's closed indicates a contact resistance problem.
    My son-in-law did measure the voltage across the terminal of the breaker while I ran the microwave. The Microwave's spec label says it is a 14 AMP unit.
    It registered a draw of 14.75 at the circuit breaker terminal when the microwave was running at 100% power.
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 09:28 AM

Nope, that's current. There are error bars on clamp on meters. 3% is typical, so 14.75 vs 14A is no big deal.

The voltage ACROSS the breaker contacts. From the main bus bar to the output terminal should be near 0V. As an example, suppose that the contact resistance was .020 or 20 milliohms, then the voltage would be V=14*.020 or about 28 mV. Now suppose the contact resistance was 1 ohms. The voltage measured would be V = (14)(1) or 14 Volts.

You would then see a little higher than the 14 V drop at the microwave. V = 120-(14 or more) volts.

Jan 21, 2009, 06:37 AM

Thanks so much for your input. I'm just estatic it wasn't the microwave. That puppy cost me too much money to go bad after only 2 yrs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore microwave shuts off immediately after starting [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a homeowner with some experience in electronics, and I'm having a problem with my Kenmore Elite Model # 721.80833500 over-the-stove microwave. It's been running fine since we bought it several years ago, but this AM, I tried to cook some bacon using the pre-programmed setting for bacon. After...

Kenmore Microwave doesn't heat up [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter ran the microwave empty and now it doesn't heat up! It's a Kenmore over the oven type. Help!!

Kenmore Microwave not heating [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced a fan above our stove with a Kenmore microwave. The light and the clock work on the microwave but the microwave does not heat anything. Can the microwave work off any 110 outlet? Thank you, Linda

Power for microwave over oven [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking to buy a microwave for over my gas oven. The oven has a hood with a fan and a light (so there is a power source). When I asked about plugging in the microwave, the salesperson said that there may be an outlet in the cabinet that is above the hood - there is not. But because there is a...

Kenmore over head microwave [ 2 Answers ]

My microwave only produces heat part of the time but the fan is always on when it's operational so you can't tell if it's heating the food or not until you pull it out. Could this be something I might be able to fix myself? I just spent $350 repairing my kenmore fridge last week and these...

View more questions Search