Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AshieBlueberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 10:38 AM
    A former employer is asking for my S.I.N. after I stopped working there.
    I worked at a place for less than two weeks. During my employment, my employer didn't collect or ask for any personal information such as my S.I.N. birth date or mailing address. After picking up my last paycheck, my former employer asked for this information for tax purposes. I would rather not give out this information. Am I legally entitled to give out my information after I stopped working?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 11:03 AM

They have to submit a W-2 or a 1099 for the time they paid you. They need your SSN to do this.

They shouldn't have given you a paycheck without this, but yes, you need to give it to them, both for them and for your obligation to the government.

Why don't you want to give out this information? This is specifically what it is for in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working for out of state employer [ 3 Answers ]

I currently work and live in Texas. I am moving to Arizona. However, I will continue to work for my employer in Texas from Arizona. How does that effect my taxes and withholding? My paycheck is paid semi-monthly through PAYCHEX. I am a salaried employee. THANKS!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

Moved to FL from NJ - still working for NJ employer [ 1 Answers ]

I am so confused! I moved to Florida in June 2007 but I am still working for the same New Jersey company that I worked for when I lived in NJ. I now work for this company out of my HOME office. This company does not have any offices in Florida and only has one location (in NJ). Since the...

Pto stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Cub cadet electric clutch started and stopped I checked all the wireing it just stopped working today and will not start back up clutch or maybe something else thanks larry

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

View more questions Search