Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    80otono Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 09:04 AM
    FBI Background Check (employment)
    I had to have a FBI Background Check(fignerprinting) done for my employers Radioactive Materials License. I know the file contains one's past criminal charges but was wondering if it lists anything about past employment history (termination). I know that the FBI collects information from state agencies and since I was on unemployment insurance was wondering if this would emerge in my report. Any info would be greatly aprreciated!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 09:12 AM
    Hello 80:

You are under the mistaken belief that there is ONE kind of FBI background check. That's not true.

If this particular license involves national security, I imagine that they're going to find out everything about you including what color underwear you have in your drawer.

However, if they're hiring you to wash dishes in the radio active materials building, then they're not going to find out much, because they don't care.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 10:13 AM

excon hit it,

First fingerprint is not a back ground search, it merely shows if there are other fingerprints and what names are used for them.

Then they will do another search, a NCIC, which is more than just FBI records, which includes any and all criminal history.

And as Excon noted, from Homeland Security there is a National Security Clearance, and to work around radioactive material, most likely you will have to have one of them.
    For that most likely after a NCIC and basic background check, you will get a temp clearance. Then they do the complete history, you will supply them about a 10 to 15 page form to fill out and it takes about 6 months to up to a year to get it done completely, and it will involve checking every reference on your application in writing and follow up with any that don't respond.

For example when I worked at GA Tech, they had a reactor there, along with Government research, my clearance took over 7 months to complete and this was after I had had one for the Justice Dept just a few years before.

And for some depending on your actual level, they even send investigators to go in person to every area you lived before, they talk to your high school and college teachers and more. I had that one done at the Justice Dept, took over a year to complete.
    And I had to answer any issue in writing, including some "pick up lines" I used on girls in college.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 11:04 AM

I don't think they would concern themselves with non criminal activities. I think they collect information from state agencies only if it is tantamount to the criminal charge they are tracking. I think you can breath easy,80.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 80otono View Post
    I had to have a FBI Background Check(fignerprinting) done for my employers Radioactive Materials License. I know the file contains one's past criminal charges but was wondering if it lists anything about past employment history (termination). I know that the FBI collects information from state agencies and since I was on unemployment insurance was wondering if this would emerge in my report. Any info would be greatly aprreciated!

An FBI background check is just that - your complete background. If they are only running a criminal check, that's something else.

What exactly did they tell you they are doing?

Jan 18, 2009, 07:50 AM
    I believe it is just a criminal check, but am unaware. I did not have to fill out a survey of questions. It was just the fingerprint card. Thanks for the info.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 80otono View Post
    I believe it is just a criminal check, but am unaware. I did not have to fill out a a survey of questions. It was just the fingerprint card. Thanks for the info.

Then it's just a criminal check. The full background check didn't make sense but I thought I'd ask.

Jan 18, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-employment background check [ 2 Answers ]

Will A Felony Arrest/charge Show Up On A Pre-employment Background Check ? I Live In The State Of Georgia And Do Not Know What Most Background Checks Show. I Gave A Co-worker A Ride Home Little Did I Know She Had More On Her Person Than Just Her Purse. Thanks For Your Answers.

Background Check / Employment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, First of all, I am so glad to find such a great forum! As of now, I work at this company as Electrical Engineer Intern since Aug 07. I do graduate this Dec with Bsc in Electrical Engineering. My bad luck, not too long ago (weeks ago) got convicted to drug paraphernalia...

Employment background checks [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of having a new potential employer (for a call center supervisor) conduct a background check. I have an IRS bill, will they see this and deny me a job because of my bill? It's a telecommunications company.

Employment background check [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested in 2006, placed on deferred adjudication, I want to know if will show up when I apply for a job? I am now off probation and it was for theft under $500

Background Check - new employment [ 1 Answers ]

I am a finalist in an interview process for a local municipality for a professional finance position. I have a guilty plea for two DUI's on my record. The DUI was unrelated to my professional life. I am following all the court appointed stipulations and staying within my probation terms. I have...

View more questions Search