Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josh123313 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 11:18 PM
    Werewolves in Wisconsin
    I just recently found out that there are werewolves in Wisconsin and I want to hear from somebody who has seen them and tell me what they look like and if they ever had any mental deseas in their family
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 04:57 AM

Hi, Josh123313!

What was the source for the information that you received, please? I've not heard of there being werewolves in Wisconsin.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 08:13 AM

Why not Wisconsin, all of that fur, they would want a cooler climate
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 11:47 AM

Werewolves have been documented in almost every country in the world. Though most places have their own names for them
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    werewolves have been documented in almost every country in the world. though most places have their own names for them
    Where can one see this documentation?
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 12:09 PM

No time to edit. What I meant is they are documented all around the world in folk lore, children's stories. And it also has been proven that lycanthropy is a disease where your body is completely covered in hair and/or you believe you are a werewolf.
    I don't know if the name for it is the same or not but I have seen shows on the discovery channel...

Lycanthropy is a mental disorder where people believe that they are a wolf (or some other animal). (Incidentally, the dictionary also defines lycanthropy as - In folklore, the magical ability to assume the form and characteristics of a wolf.) For those of you interested in learning more about the “werewolf disease”, try searching for The Werewolf in Legend, Fact, and Art by novelist Basil Copper in 1977. Cooper discusses the werewolf disease and research done by Dr. Lee Illis who describes the werewolf disease as the mental condition congenital porphyria. Dr. Illis compiles evidence to show a link between porphyria and werewolves. Is the werewolf disease legitimate? You'll have to do the research and be the judge

Lycanthropy from Greek lykoi, "wolf" anthropos, "man", a psychiatric state in which the patient believes he is a wolf or some other nonhuman animal. Undoubtedly stimulated by the once widespread superstition that lycanthropy is a supernatural condition in which men actually assume the physical form of other animals, the delusion has been most likely to occur among people who believe in reincarnation and the transmigration of souls.

Rarely does this condition surface. Examples of lycanthropy are only now being linked to schizophrenia - having very few cases to study in our present institutions makes this disease difficult to study in-depth.

Usually, a person is deemed to take the form of the most dangerous beast of prey of the region: the wolf or bear in Europe and northern Asia, the hyena or leopard in Africa, and the tiger in India, China, Japan, and elsewhere in Asia; but other animals are mentioned too. Both the superstition and the psychiatric disorder are linked to the belief in animal guardian spirits, vampires, totemism, witches, and werewolves. The folklore, fairy tales, and legends of many nations and peoples show evidence of lycanthropic belief.

Stories of men turning into beasts go back to antiquity. In parts of ancient Greece, werewolf myths, stemming from prehistoric times (based on new evidence), became linked with the Olympian religion. In Arcadia, a region plagued by wolves, there was a cult of the Wolf-Zeus. Mt. Lycaeus was the scene of a yearly gathering at which the priests were said to prepare a sacrificial feast that included meat mixed with human parts. According to legend, whoever tasted it became a wolf and could not turn into a man unless he abstained from human flesh for nine years.

The Romans also knew this superstition. Anyone who was supposed to have been turned into a wolf by means of magic spells or herbs was called versipellis "turnskin" by the Romans.

Stories about the werewolf were widely believed in Europe during the Middle Ages. Outlaws and bandits played on these superstitions by sometimes wearing wolfskins over their armour. At that time people were unusually prone to develop the delusion that they themselves were wolves; suspected lycanthropists were burned alive if convicted. Only rarely was their condition recognized as a psychological disturbance. Although the superstition is no longer common, traces still linger in some primitive and isolated areas.

The term werewolf isn't like the "classic" Hollywood-style ravenous beast stuff. The term lycanthropy as is used here can be found in some medical psychological books as being a disorder, a certain animal like behaveour as a result of an advanced psychosis. This is also not the way I like to use the term werewolf in relation to me. The way I use the term, is as in spiritual therianthropy.

Lycanthropy is the medical disease in which a person believes that they are a wolf and subsequently take on the personality and characteristics of the animal. They may howl, hunch on all fours and have a taste for raw meat, but they retain their human form. Modern doctors believe that lycanthropes suffer from any or all of these disorders: schizophrenia, hysterical neurosis, manic depressive psychosis and psychomotor epilepsy. Today, these problems can be treated with medicine.

There are many hallucinogenic plants and fungus infected grains that might have also contributed to the werewolf phenomenon. Hallucinations causing people to believe they are wolves and leading them to commit horrible acts is one theory that has occurred in times as recent as the early 1900's.

Rabies and Porphyria, both rare diseases, should also not be discounted as possibilities of a werewolf craze. Rabies would cause a person to foam at the mouth, growl and snarl and take on the characteristics of a wolf or dog. It attacks the central nervous system and the victim can die within 5 days. Porphyria is a rare genetic disorder that affects the red blood cells, cells which are important for carrying oxygen throughout our body. Symptoms of untreated Porphyria include: photo sensitivity, discoloration of the skin, increased growth of body hair and abnormal changes in the skin. This disease is often accompanied by mental disturbances including psychosis.

Lycanthropy, rabies and hallucinogenic plants may help to explain some of the cases of supposed werewolves, but it can't eliminate the fact that stories and accounts of werewolves and were animals have existed for centuries all across the world. Folklore tells that a person is a werewolf if they have: eyebrows that meet in the middle of their face, long, claw like fingernails, small flat or pointy ears and their third finger is exceptionally long. Sound like anyone you might know, or maybe you want to take a look in the mirror. They say there is a beast inside everyone. Maybe, for some of us, the beast gets a chance to emerge once every full moon.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare.../lycanthr.html
    Werewolf disease - lycanthropes and lycanthropy | i love werewolves
    http://www.essortment.com/all/werewolveslycan_rfzm.htm

Feb 7, 2009, 05:35 PM
    I've read all this stuff in Encyclopedia Horriffica but the werewolves in Wisconsin goes by many names but the only two I know are the beast of bray road and the dogman and to answer where I got my source is on the history channel

Feb 7, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Where can one see this documentation?
    1 of 2 options read the beast of bray road or if you have on demand check out history channel in news and world category then go to monsterquest

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horror / werewolves book search [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a book I read in the early 1990's. It was about werewolves and witches on a old plantation in Louisiana. If I remember correctly the title had "Bane, Wolfbane or Wolvesbane" in it. I have searched and searched with no luck. Any ideas?

Wisconsin law [ 3 Answers ]

In Wisconsin there is a chapter 7 13 also is there a 126 or is it 128

Getting out of my Lease in Wisconsin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about getting out of my lease. I live in Wisconsin and recently sign a lease for a year. I am having problems with my landlords, They have been saying things and then backing out on them. I made the mistake by not getting anything in writing, but I am tired of dealing with them. I...

View more questions Search