Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 10:17 PM
    64-bit Vista drivers and 64-bit XP drivers
    Think of this situation as a 32-bit Vista Machine upgrading(term used loosely :D) to a 64-bit Version of Vista.

Since maybe not all hardware on the 32-bit is 64-bit compatible, thus no drivers (which must be digitally signed) for operability. I have heard that for SOME of these devices that need to be ran can actually use the 64-bit XP driver to function.

Or here is another question:
    Is 64-bit XP drivers all digitally signed? Thus increasing the likelyness of this situation working... hmmmmmm

Thank You

Also for kicks (lol) and giggles...

List any experiences you've had upgrading (hahahaha) from 32-bit to 64-bit. Or not even necessarily upgrading (hahaha) but maybe you bought a new machine that is 64-bit (where-as you're old one was 32-bit) and you've notioced some applications not working anymore or programs!

Thanks and Thanks Again!
    Networking Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 10:22 PM

I've answered one of my own questions.

Are 64-bit XP Drivers digitally signed?

It is not until Windows Vista (64-bit) that drivers must be digitally signed before assaigning to devices. Thus making a majority of previous OS drivers including Vista (32-bit)50/50. So I guess the answer would be maybe/maybe not :D. Now if I could answer the first part.

Will XP 64-bit Drivers (that are digitally signed of course) work for Vista (64-bit). I have heard of this for some devices but I want confirmation...

Thanks again!
    answeromatic Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 10:15 AM
    I have two 64-bit vista machines. The only compatibility issues I have found were one of my printers wouldn't work (Lexmark got lazy and never released the updated drivers). Now keep in mind you have to have a processor with 64-bit architecture to make the switch.

Good luck!
    Networking Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 06:30 PM

Obviosly I couldn't upgrade to a 64-bit OS, if my cpu isn't a 64-bit processor. Thanks for the input though!
    bl117 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 03:05 PM

You shouldn't have any issues as long as your computer is only a couple years old. You can't use 64bit xp drivers unless you want to turn off driver signing every time you boot up your computer. If you do have problems just post them in the forum and we'll help solve them.
    Networking Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 12:15 PM

If I upgrade from a 32-bit Vista OS to a 64-bit Vista OS and I had a hardware compat. Issue then could I use a 64-bit XP driver? Well the driver would have to work obviosly and it would have to be signed. That or I must turn off digital signing every time I boot!

Does this sound correct.

Also just because it's 64-bit in XP doesn't mean it will work for Vista right? Hardware changes and manufacturer released drivers are probably different for these two OS'

I guess my question would be "is all 64-bit XP drivers capable of working with 64-bit Vista machines"? For example say I had 32-bit Vista OS on a 64-bit capable HP. If I upgraded to a 64-bit OS and my sound card didn't work because the manufacturer didn't releasea 64-bit version for it. But they did for the 64-bit version of XP. Can I use that driver?
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 25, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    If I upgrade from a 32-bit Vista OS to a 64-bit Vista OS and I had a hardware compat. issue then could I use a 64-bit XP driver? Well the driver would have to work obviosly and it would have to be signed. That or I must turn off digital signing everytime i boot!

Does this sound correct.

Also just because it's 64-bit in XP doesn't mean it will work for Vista right? Hardware changes and manufacturer released drivers are probably different for these two OS'

I guess my question would be "is all 64-bit XP drivers capable of working with 64-bit Vista machines"? For example say I had 32-bit Vista OS on a 64-bit capable HP. If I upgraded to a 64-bit OS and my sound card didn't work because the manufacturer didn't releasea 64-bit version for it. But they did for the 64-bit version of XP. Can I use that driver?
    I think that's like asking are all apples oranges too? XP to Vista 32 or 64bit, are two completely different systems. Think about it really, since XP is the predecessory to Vista 32 or 64 bit, how would that even be possible that an XP driver would even remotely work on a new OS that it wasn't intended or designed for?
    Networking Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 11:45 AM

At first you wouldn't think so but I thought I heard that you could!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drivers [ 1 Answers ]

I am using a compaq Presario_c700 but the audio device is not found

DVD/cd drivers [ 2 Answers ]

My computer won't recognize the DVD/CD drives in the tower.

Why are excellent drivers usually angry drivers? [ 12 Answers ]

When someone whizzes past me on the freeway, changing lanes and slipping between cars without slowing anyone down I think, "good driver." Riding in the same car with a person like this has always revealed that the person is frustrated and angry with everyone else. You may be different. When a...

64-Bit Drivers [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Compaq Preserio V3029AU with following configuration 1) CPU: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 (1.6GHz). 2) BUS: Front Bus speed 1600MHz. 3) Cache: Level 2 cache 256 KB + 256 KB. 4) Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6150 GRAPHIC CARd 5) Audio: Altec Lansing...

View more questions Search