Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kariburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Can't remove old tub spout
    My shower dribbles and has no pressure. I know I need to replace the tub spout, I bought a universal, but, I can't et the old one loose! Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2006, 10:02 AM
    They can be stubborn at times. If you have an access panel behind your tub you can try spraying some wd 40 or similar penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a few minutes and try again. It depends on what kind of spout you have also so if you can send more details on it I might be able to help you more.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2006, 10:41 AM
    There are two types of tub spouts. A chrome over brass metal one that has threads and screws on and a chrome over plastic one that is secured by a clamp. To tell which one you have look on the bottom next to the tile wall. If you have the clamp on type you will find a small square hole leading up to a Allen Head set screw that you will have to loosen before you can pull the spout off. If no little square hole then simply unscrew the spout. Good luck, tom
    Kenny-boy12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 04:04 PM
    I have the same problem. I know that mine is a screw on tub spout but impossible to screw off by hand. I would like to know what sort of wrench to use and also whether to scew it counter-clockwise.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Hello Kenny Boy,

You replied to almost a six years old thread, always check the date on top left corner of the post.

To answer your question the easiest and most common way is to insert a large screwdriver into the tub spout. Holding the screwdriver in one hand and the spout in the other hand, firmly twist the spout COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to loosen and remove.

Another way is to use a pipe wrench and, if the spout will be reused, protect it with 3 wraps of duct tape or a heavy cloth at the point of contact between the pipe wrench jaws. Holding the pipe wrench in one hand and the spout in the other hand, firmly twist the spout COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to loosen and remove.

Note: Make sure to use some Plumber Tape on the threads of the pipe before installing the Spout, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub spout [ 23 Answers ]

I replaced my bath faucet and now am struggling (to say the least) to get the tub spout to not leak. It is a brand new spout that come with the faucet. A delta faucet. I cannot get the spout to not leak. I did the directions to a T and for whatever reason the spout keeps leaking through the...

2" Tub Spout [ 1 Answers ]

I took off an old tub spout to replace it - it was then that I discovered that it was a 2" inlet.... No one seems to selll these anymore... any suggestions on where to find one? I reall don't care what it looks like as long as it is functional- we are going to re-do the bathroom someday and will...

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

Need help replacing tub spout [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my husband and I are not the handiest people in the world. We needed to replace a tub spout with diverter, as water was not coming out of the shower head. We bought a universal tub spout with diverter, the kind with a thread screw and retainer ring. We followed the directions to a T, and...

View more questions Search