Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jason4911 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Pipe bangs when hot water is turned on.
    Hello,

I recently remodeled my bathroom, replacing the toilet, sink, vanity and shower. I didn't mess around with the copper supply lines that much with the exception of changing the shower valve from a 2 handle to a 1 handle.
    My problem is this: when I turn the shower on and turn the water to hot a banging noise begins to happen that sounds like a machine gun. If I turn the water on at any other sink in the house the banging stops. As soon as I shut the water off the banging starts again.
    I removed the shower head thinking there might be some blockage but with the shower head off the banging continues. I removed the cartridge from the shower valve to see if there was any debris in there but it was clean too. The sound is like a train engine getting ready to pull away from the station ch ch ch ch ch ch in very rapid succession and it vibrates the hell out of the pipe.

Jason
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2009, 08:21 AM
    I removed the cartridge from the shower valve to see if there was any debris in there but it was clean too
    When you had the valve apart did you turn on the hot and cold for a moment to flush out the open valve body and supplies? Back to you, Tom

Jan 16, 2009, 08:25 AM

No I did not
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Sounds like you may have some trash in there that's vibrating as the water rushes past. See if you can flush it out. Good luck, Tom

Jan 17, 2009, 08:07 AM

Well I removed the cartridge and flushed out the lines and didn't see much of anything come out of them. I also turned on all of the faucets in the house for a while and flushed the toilets a few times and seemed to get a lot of air out of them. The water pressure reads 60psi. The noise si still there but its not near as noticeable as before and sounds almost like its moaning.

Thanks Jason

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammering, water arresters, big pipe flowing into small pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a water hammer (I'm guessing) problem in our house. All the pipes are under the house and it is a timber house so each time there is a water hammer noise it is extremely noisy. Basically any tap in the house is making the noise when turning on or off quickly with loud bangs. Cold...

Water leaking from refrierator. Water turned off - drained. [ 2 Answers ]

I have water (10 gal a day) leaking from my refrierator. All water is off and drained. Where can it be coming from? Can it be from auto defrost?

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

Hot water heater bangs [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a house with a 10yr old 40gal natural gas water heater. When it heats the water it almost sounds like its percolating loudly. I can hear the banging from the second floor. I was told it might be because its over firing. I was just looking for another opinion. Thanks Matt

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

View more questions Search