Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gus_19 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Mortar Mix and Basement Floor
    My uncle and I are getting set to put down the floor/foundation for a sauna in my basement. Since my house is only about a year old and I'm not sure if there was any sort of sealant treatment on the floor, would I have any trouble have the mortar blocks and mix adhere to the basement floor if there is any sort of treatment? If so, is there an additive I could get to help the mortar mix cure?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 06:04 PM

I would wash the area with a good acid mix made for etching concrete. Gravity is going to be your best friend with this installation.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2009, 02:22 AM

I would not use an acid to etch the floor. One is is a mess. Two is it takes a muriatic acid to etch concrete and its very caustic as well as a Shure Kleen High Detergent. Either or it has to be rinsed and so on to be neutralized and if there is a sealer there already it may react to that and turns into a mess. The worst enemy is the surface is very smooth.

When ever you lay block on smooth concrete no matter if there is a sealant or not the mortar doesn't stick well to begin with. If you want it to stick snap a chalk line where the block is going to go and just take a 1" chisel and nick the concrete behind the chalk line (in sided block wall part) and just where the block webs touch the concrete floor. You don;t want to put acid on the floor as all. This can be left as a residue and effect the fresh mortar you are putting down. Any how that how we masons do it. The other method is lay out the block and drill a 3/8"thick pin and 1" deep or so hole in and put a 4" pin in the hole where the block web is and lay block fill some mortar in that pinned web hole and now its pinned.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor [ 1 Answers ]

My house is about 60 years old. My basement floor is cement and its not level, there are several problems with the floor one is it keeps flaking on parts of the floor and its painted. My question is what can I use to level the floor with and being that is painted will that cause a problem.

Basement Walls are stone, mortar is turning to Sand. [ 2 Answers ]

The walls of my Basement are Rock with mortar fillings. The mortar is letting go, and is like sand. What can I use to seal this and fill the wall with mortar. I tried to fill the gaps with hyd. Cement, but it falls out due to the sand, it sifts constantly. Redoing the basement with blocks is not an...

Wet Floor in Basement [ 7 Answers ]

:eek: The carpet has been wet the last few times it's rained. But it is in the red line in the picture, so I wonder if this means it is a crack in the floor rather than the wall. You can't see the picture unless you can log into myspace. But the wet spot is wider at the wall but extends narrowly on...

Basement floor [ 2 Answers ]

Why is my basement floor sinking

Wet basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

In May when I first turned on my ac I had wet spot on my basement floor that came through my carpet. I had to put a condensate pump on near my furnace and water heater. That seemed to solve the problem until yesterday I noticed that the same spot as before is wet again and also around my furnace....

View more questions Search