Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Refusal to take pain meds when dying
    Not a question, but a perspective I had not thought about.

I attended the wake of a friend's mother yesterday. She had terminal cancer, fought the fight, and eventually lost. We found out about her passing on the way to my wife's aunt's funeral, another cancer victim.

At the wake, her daughter was upset, but obviously glad her mother was no longer suffering. The cancer had spread to the lungs, and her mother was in pain.

What was bothering the daughter was that her mother was lying to the hospice workers about the pain. The daughter could see through her mother, and was clearly disturbed that her last few days were so hard.

My wife then told her something which I had never considered. That the mother was perhaps not acting irrationally. That she chose to endure the pain those last few days in order to be clear and mentally present those last few days of her life.

I am in no way saying pain management should be pushed aside, especially when the body is ravaged in such a brutal way.

But when the daughter heard this you could see it took away a burden. She knew that's exactly what her mother was doing, but she didn't understand it at the time. Her mother was in pain but chose to experience her last hours fully aware and present.

Again, I know a person shouldn't suffer needlessly, and I'm all for the reasonable management of pain... but I guess I'm posting this because I also had not thought about that perspective, and I think its one worth keeping in mind. I too would have worried that the person I loved was suffering needlessly, when they actually might be of sound mind and deliberate choice.

In this case, it explained how a strong woman stood toe to toe with a disease that cut down her body but never her dignity or her will.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 28, 2006, 07:54 AM
    That is beautiful KP. I never took that into perspective either, but you can believe I will remember this from now on.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 28, 2006, 09:12 AM
    That is exactly how I would hope to choose as well and am heartened to see that someone did. Dying well is as much a part of living well in my book but there's no telling what anyone gets until they get there, eh? Thank you for sharing that KP.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 28, 2006, 11:28 PM
    This actually isn't entirely uncommon. In recent decades, as many displaced Tibetan lamas (advanced spiritual practitioners) are now dying in modern hospitals in the US, Europe, and many other places, there are many stories of those who refused pain management medications despite enduring great pain by way of such diseases. The primary reason for this, is that the moment of death is to them seen as the greatest opportunity for liberation, to recognize one's truest nature. Thus it is considered critical to remain observant and aware through the entire dissolution process of the senses. Though Tibetans also believe that certain medications block the central nadi or energetic channel in the body, perhaps not allowing the persons essence to be properly or most fortuitously released.
    Depending on your spiritual beliefs, this may be an experience all of us only have once in our life. I agree, she likely wished nothing more than to be aware; not only of her loved ones, but of the journey that lies beyond.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying roots? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I am asking this for a friend but she dyed her brown hair blonde but the roots are starting to show. How should she redo her roots? Should she just put hair dye on the top? Or can she just put hairdye on her whold head ? She is afraid that if she just does the roots she will miss some and get...

I think I'm dying... [ 2 Answers ]

Please help... My boyfriend and I broke up and I was hoping someone could give me an idea or two for an amazing romantic gesture... that doesn't cost anything... and that would REALLY fix and help things... I don't want to lose him because he is truly the only guy that really cares... we've been...

Worried about heartworm meds. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone - I have three dachshunds which I monthly give Sentinel heartworm treatment pills. My problem is that I am almost a month behind on their treatment because my vet will not authorize the prescription until she has now tested all three for heartworm - an idea that would have been...

Dying Fish [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, My kids have an aquarium at home medium size which has got a filter and they are changing the water and cleaning the whole stuff occasionally but not late. They are feeding them morning and evening according to the instructions from the pet shop. They have to buy new fishes in every two...

I'm dying to get help and don't know where to look. [ 8 Answers ]

Im really sorry if this is the wrong area to ask my question, but Im new to this forum and really need some help. Here's my problem: My computer constantly and, seemingly, for no reason crashes (restarts itself) I had this problem before a while back and someone I know looked at it, removed...

View more questions Search