Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmace Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 05:07 AM
    300' run of service entrance
    My electrician and the power co. have both agreed that 2/0 urd aluminum is sufficient for a 100 amp service for a mobile home.
    The run is 300'.
    There is a 100 amp disconnect outside and inside the mobile home.
    Is the acceptable?
    I'm just double checking their wisdom in this matter.
    Thanks in advance.
    pmace
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 05:46 AM
    Most utilities are subject to providing a minimum of 3 % to a maximum of 5 % of voltage drop. With #2/0 Aluminum cable at 300 feet, and assuming the maximum allowed load of 80 amps on a 100 amp service , results in a Vd of 2.7% volts dropped.

So the proposed installation is fine.

I will say thou, if there is ever a chance that a larger service will be needed in the future, now would be the time to install #4/0 Al URD to be ready for at least a 200 amp service.

Also, if the path of the cable does or will cross any paved areas, be sure to install a min of 3 " PVC Sch 40 or DB conduit as a sleeve.

Jul 28, 2006, 07:57 AM
    I apologize for not including this info in my first post.

The meter pole that is 300' from the mobile home has a 200 amp breaker in the box.

Is this still safe?

Thanks
    pmace
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 08:04 AM
    OK, Are you saying you have a 100 amp panel at the home and a 200 amp meter at the meter pole? Now you got me confused.

If the service entrance is 200 amp at 300 foot, like I said should use #4/0 Al URD.

FYI- URD means Underground Residential Distribution cable

Jul 28, 2006, 04:10 PM
    I apologize for the confusion.

Yes, the power company ran 200 amp service to the power pole with the meter base and 200 amp disconnect.

(The reason for this was the power company installed up to 95' of overhead service line for free. Any longer and they wanted a right of way on our property. So we opted for the free 95' and to go 300' underground to the mobile home)

Are we going to have to get the power company to change the service to 100 amp at the meter?

Thanks for your advice.
    pmace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable [ 23 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an old house. It is a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. We put in a 200 amp service and need to run a service entrance cable about 20 -25 ft to the inside breaker panel. My question is how big of a gauge wire should we run for the service entance cable. #? 3 conductor with ground in...

Service entrance cable [ 2 Answers ]

Having new 100amp meter installed professionally,but I am burying wire to the building which is 125' from where meter is mounted. Will I have to upsize the size of wire because of the distance? I also intend to enclose in conduit, so I'm not worried about using "U" coded wire

Entrance cable [ 4 Answers ]

How do I cover the electrical service entrance cable attached to the side of my house? What do I use? The original covering has worn out in spots, exposing wires beneath. Also is this something a dummy can do?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

Service entrance [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to find out what the amp rating of a service to a house is . The fuse box is old with edison base fuses, but the weather head and pipe to the meter cradel looks newer want to change to beaker panel Not sure what size

View more questions Search