Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
    There must be something unusual that is causing these failures. I just performed a secondary heat exchanger replacement on a 398 last week, and it still had the vintage-1989 inducer wheel intact. The customer is the original purchaser of the unit, and my company installed it, so there are no mysteries or questions regarding the age of the parts. Do you, by chance, live in a coastal area? I'm not sure what impact salt air might have on the unit, but I would expect the effects would be more evident toward the metallic parts.
    woodymach Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 07:20 PM

I live in the Chicago area. I had the house custom built and specified Bryant because of previous experience with them and my father-in-law was in heating and plumbing and considered them a good product. Unfortunately, I have had several problems with this unit and writing the factory appears to have no effect. Could just be a lemon.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 07:33 PM

Not much explanation from here. Except to say you have just had a run of bad luck. Can't really get to the source of the problem from here. You do have the furnace going again don't you?? If so, just hope it works for some time. And maybe think about getting into a newer model, with a long standing warranty.

Jan 30, 2009, 06:15 PM

Just a note to thank everyone that responded to my question/problem. As expected, I never did get a response from Bryant. As a bit of information, I was able to find a source for the blower only through the internet. I found it at Shortys HVAC for $37 including shipping which I think is a deal and they were really fast in shipping it.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 06:27 PM
    That is a deal indeed! Still... something unusual. I did another 398 secondary h/x replacement today, this one from 1986! Still the original inducer wheel... have you ever had the gas input checked?

Jan 30, 2009, 07:17 PM

Next time I have the furnace serviced, I will have the pressure checked.
    pipeline Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
    My bryant furnace comes on,and blow cold air for a very long time with out the main burner coming on.I would turn the thermostat to off,and return a hour later to turn it on.The furnace would come on and work fine,this problem have been going on for about a year and getting progressively worst.What could be the problem?

Jan 10, 2010, 05:42 PM

My bryant furnace comes on and blows cold air for a very long time with out the main burner coming on.I would turn the thermostat to off,and return a hour later to turn it on.The furnace would comeonand work fine,this problemhave been going on for about a year and getting progressively worst.What could be the problem?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
    Try cleaning the flame sensor.

Jan 10, 2010, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Try cleaning the flame sensor.
    That was done.Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 06:12 PM
    Exact model number?
    kenchadak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 01:59 PM
    My furnce is making a high pitch sound when blower comes on and then once in a while a grounding noise, sometimes the noise will be often. I have turned it down and it doesn't do it as much, could it be the blower or squirrel cage?
    kenchadak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 02:00 PM

My furnace is making a high pitch noise and sometimes a grinding noise. Could it be the squirrel cage or blower itself?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 04:07 PM

kenchadak, please start your own post, you will get more responses this way.
    beaner13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 10:44 PM
    I have a Carrier 58sta/stx and funny enough the nolise that came from my furnace sounds like... when we were kids and we used to put baseball playing cards in our spokes.. I discovered that fan wheel was imbalanced... I centered it... a few days later... I heard the noise again... then it went silent... the furnace itself is running correctly albeit the inducer motor is quite warm to touch... I also disccovered that part of the plastic wheel... the inner part that grips the shaft was broken... luckily enough I found a place that sells them for $18.00... and it is an easy fix... mind you... when I called the HVAC guys they said they would replaced the motor for a mere $800.00... I was glad to find forumns such as this or I could have been out some bigger bucks :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Furnace Inducer Motor Fan Squealing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a byrant furnace model 395b - the inducer motor fan squeals and I was wondering if it should be repalced or can I oil it and how? The furnace company wants $100 to look at it and I was wondering if I could do it myself!

Bryant 90 Plus gas furnace blower motor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 90 Plus (350MAV) and have a problem. I noticed that the heater was not turning on. I opened the furnace door and found the diagnostic led flashing 1-3. Upon checking the meaning of the code, I found it referenced a dirty filter of defective blower. I shut the furnace off at the...

Furnace inducer motor [ 5 Answers ]

What are the implications of a furnace inducer motor drawing high Amps?

Bryant furnace blower motor running, but not firing [ 3 Answers ]

What should I check to see why my gas furnace is not firing. I replaced the blower motor, which it is working also reset and then wired around the limit switch on the blower housing. Was working and firing furnace producing heat. Within one hour. Then the blower motor comes on, but the...

Blower Motor Relay Failing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Lennox Pulse furnace that is approximately 16 years old with central A/C. Last summer the blower motor stopped running while using air conditioner. Determined that the blower relay was bad, replaced and it ran fine through to this summer season. Again the blower relay contacts failed,...

View more questions Search