Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DesperateMom1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
    Teenage Exploitaion!
    Our 18 year old son who has a serious pending legal issue, has brought home a girl.

Initially she was to leave the day after but this temporary arrangement is now turning out to be permanent. She has lots of legal issues and does not have any parental guidance. Apparently she just moves around from home to home until she is asked to leave. Her character is questionable and she is not of sober habits. Her belief is that she is the best thing for our son - in that she keeps him away from other bad company!! My understanding is that she is a 'parasite' - she is seeking the comforts of a home by preying on a confused adolesant. My attempts to ask her to leave are proving to be futile due to her ignorance of my authority in our home. Both my husband and I have be polite thus far. We have encouraged her to take stock of her life and take care of her issues. She has heeded our advice but has become more comfortable. Our son threatens to leave with her if we insist. He does have a job but has commitments towards his legal fees. She is planning on getting a job and talks about a future by moving out with him.

What are options with regards to getting her to leave? How can we avoid this situation from recurring? What will deter our son from taking advantage of our home in the future?

Please help!!

:mad::o:confused:
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 07:24 AM

Welcome to AMHD. Why do things have to be so complex? I believe you need a support team consisting of a minister, family counselor, and attorney. You will need to develop goals and/or outcomes for multiple persons and interests. And, you can only live one day at a time.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Jan 15, 2009, 09:02 AM

It's your home and you set the rules. Sometimes teenagers need to learn the hard way. It's time to start charging them both rent AND if he's going to be bringing home "strays" he needs to support them. Determine what his share of the grocery money is for the two of them per week, tell him they are expected to pay that as well. See an attorney and draw up a contract for him to sign outlining his responsibilities in the house and the penalties for failing to meet them.

Another option is to tell them to leave. You'll probably have to face the fact that if she goes, he goes with her. He's 18 and thinks he knows everything, you have no control over him and you can't protect him from stupid mistakes forever. Let him figure out what the real world is like.

Or... you can stick with the situation as it is.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
    Ber
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ber Rabbit View Post
    It's your home and you set the rules. Sometimes teenagers need to learn the hard way...

Another option is to tell them to leave...

Ber
    Just curious: have you had success in dealing with teenagers?
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Jan 15, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    Just curious: have you had success in dealing with teenagers?
    Some yes, some no, they are ALL different and react to adult guidance in some unpredictable ways. Sometimes a little creativity helps get a point across to them, you had already taken the logical response so I went for a more unconventional idea.
    Ber

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage Son - I can't take him any more [ 29 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old son, he's disrespectful, hateful, foul mouthed and the boundarys we set mean nothing to him. I can't let him disrupt my home any longer and want to throw him out. Is there any way I can get him out of my house legally?

Teenage boy-17 [ 31 Answers ]

I have a problem with my grandson. He is very disrespectful to my daughter. He says f you and other things to her. What can we do?

Teenage novel name? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey. So I need to find the name of a book. It is a recent... teenage novel. The cover is all black and has a bright smiley face on it. It has to do with a girl growing up in the seventies (though it is not written then) It is written as if it were her diary. It also mentions how there is a ghost in...

Teenage son [ 18 Answers ]

I have absolutely had it! I hate my son! I do! He is argumentative continually. I have never heard a human being argue to the extent he does. He is rude to not only me, his step father, other adults, a teacher at school and friends. He says all we do is yell at him and I have made a...

Loss of teenage son [ 11 Answers ]

How can I help my boyfriend cope with the loss of his teenage son. He is dazed and confused, angry and lethargic.

View more questions Search