Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBScarlet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Heil Furnace won't stay lit or blow air
    I have a Heil gas furnace that just started acting up today the coldest day of the year here, go figure...

The pilot will light the burner and it will burn for a few seconds, but the main blower won't kick on. The burner then goes out. The draft fan runs fine. If I set the Thermostat to FAN instead of Auto, the main blower does function.

I think I have narrowed it down to the ignitor flame rod assembly. This furnace uses the Honeywell smart valve.

So does that sound like the likely source of my problem (ignitor)?

Thanks,
    Chris
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 11:43 PM
    You might be correct. Clean the flame sensor carefully.

Sand paper works.

DO NOT clean the ignitor itself just the flame sensor part...
    Attached Images

CBScarlet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Well, replaced the ignitor/flame rod assy (after I fat-fingered it and broke the ignitor) and it did not fix the issue.
    What it did turn out to be is there was a small amount of water (condensate?) inside the pressure sensing tube that was causing the snesor to think the chimney was blocked up and shutting down the flame. Blowing out the tube completely fixed the issue!

Thanks for the help,
    Chris
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Yep that can also be a cause as well as a few other items. I am glad you now have heat again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace won't blow hot air - Pressure Draft safeguard [ 1 Answers ]

What is this error code about? It says "Pressure draft safeguard auxiliary limit (when used) OR blocked vent shut off (when used). Switch did not close or re-open. Does anyone know what needs done to correct this? Thank you

Furnace won't stay on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gas pump furnace that has been switched over to propane prior to me moving in. Replaced filters and thermostat, checked all fuses and junction box. a/c works and fan only works but when I turn it to heat - I get nothing. I removed panel and reset the switch - it stayed on for about 3-4...

Furnace won't blow hot air or shut off [ 3 Answers ]

I have a concord 80 plus furnace. Its less then 2 years old. It will not blow hot air, and the motor just runs and will not shut off no matter what the therm is set at. The LED flashes 4 times which says "open limit switch or limit switch circuit". I pulled the limit switch out (at least I think...

HEIL furnace will not stay lite [ 3 Answers ]

I have a older heil furnace (Model#867.769445) about 20 years old. When the pilot turns on after a few seconds the burners light, then after a second or two they shut off, on again, and off. They will do this continually until finally they stay on or the furnace stops trying to heat. I have also...

Heil gas furnace won't blow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Heil heat/air gas pack(forced air) unit. It's about 20 years old, but it's been a great one. When I flip the t-stat to HEAT and AUTO I hear the unit outside firing up and I can see heat rising out of the vent, but the blower won't come on to push heat inside my house. When I turn the...

View more questions Search