Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cat45 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Payne without heat, being a pain
    I have a 15 year old Payne Model #383KAV036055, Series B. Natural Gas

From another post: ".....Day + Night furnace that only the blower comes on with no heat"

Self test worked fine, new thermostat that's working - I can hear and smell the natural gas being injected into the flame tubes, but then it kicks off without igniting - gas shuts down and only the low flow blower stays on - any ideas?? Any help would greatly appreciated, consider myself a competent enough handyman, father taught me well, but this has me perplexed... :confused::confused::confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 11:26 PM
    The link below I believe is for your furnace.

http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline...CAV_Gas_OM.pdf

The first item I would check is the hot surface ignitor. I believe it is number 12 on the furnace part drawing. This item should glow very bright when the furnace is turned on. The purpose of this item is to lite the gas so it will burn. They do get cracks in them which prevents them from working. If this item is defetive it will need to be replaced.

Other than that part the rest of any trouble shooting will require a meter,the knowledge of how to use a meter,and then voltage and ohms test will have to be performed on your equipment to find the problem. This work will have to be done ON Site and cannot be accomplished on a message board.

Hope it is just a ignitor. One tip never touch the carbon/black end with your fingers because it can damage the new ignitor.

One final question. Did this problem start right after the new thermostat was installed?

Jan 15, 2009, 12:25 AM

No that was one the reasons I replaced. The old thermostat was unreliable and my electric/gas bills were starting to go through the roof, so I changed over from an older mercury stat to a digital. Blew the fuse after installing it, but fixed that and still have the same problem. I'll take a look at the ingitor, I was thinking that twas the problem,but just wanted an expert thoughts on the problem... Thank you for the fast reply... I'll let you know how things turn out...

Jan 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
    BINGO... thank HVAC... popped open the front of the furnace removed the ignitor and lwo and behold a nice burn area with a crack on the element... now I just have to find a supplier in So. California to get the part from... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jan 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Becareful with the ignitor and do not touch the black part with your fingers since that can damage them.

Jan 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
    No problem there... I've done something similar before, again, Thank you for the advice and info... :):):):):)

Jan 16, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Let us know how it all works out.

Jan 23, 2009, 08:21 PM
    AS one of my favorite Angry Beavers used to say " Problem sol-ved" Thank you for your answer HVAC appreciate the quick response and additional info you provided... :D:D:D:D

Jan 24, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Always glad to help. Keep that info on your computer for future reference.

Jan 24, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Going to get another ingnitor next pay day after reading the info on it, I realized that the one I replaced lasted about 3 times longer then they should and given that the furnace is 15 years old I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get parts for it. Found a great online parts company and the fix actually only took 5 minutes to do once I had the part couldn't ask for anything better, except I had to pay for overnight shipping, due to "colder" weather coming in this weekend and the hose can get "cold" and stay that way. We were lucky and had a warm spell for the couple of weeks I was waiting to get the part. BTW the online company is called Shorty's HVAC Supply - talked with he owner about the shipping costs and I couldn't ask for any better service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump - Payne [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It...

No heat, blower doesn't stop, can't see rollout switch, Payne 399AAV [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Payne 399AV that is about 15yr old. Just started to blow non-stop with no heat. Pressed the reset on the auxiliary limit switch, no change. Looking for flame rollout switch shown in Manual can't find. Had a friend look he couldn't find it either. Am I missing it? Filter hadn't been...

Payne gas furnace not getting enough [ 3 Answers ]

Gas furnace is to draw combustion air from outside. Installation allows compution air to be feed into the furnace from the left or the right and provides a plug for the unused side. With the plug installed furnace tries to run but the pilot light gets blown out. Leaving the plug out the furnace...

Payne heat pump -- will not run [ 2 Answers ]

Help! My problem started with the compressor not running with the heat switch on. I checked the thermostat wiring and found that the tstat was not wired per the manual for a heat pump with aux heat. I fixed that problem and the unit would run but not blow warm air. I called out a technician and...

Payne Heat Pump loose fitting [ 1 Answers ]

My Payne heat pump was installed August 2003. Noticed a few months ago that it would run constantly. Had it checked out. Repairman said it was leaking through the flare fitting. My question is: If a flare fitting was tighten three years ago can it jiggle loose on its own, because of the vibration...

View more questions Search