Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrainyDiva11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Glasses Dorky or Popular?
    Dear Readers,

I am having a deliema with my parents. I have to go to the eye doctors on Saturday morning this week. My parents think I am going blind and need glasses. But it seems to be that I MAY actually need them. And I am in middle school and kids at my school are sort of creul. PLZZZZZZZ HELPPPPPPPP!
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 07:05 PM

Glasses can be a positive thing.

If you get the right frames, you will look no different than before you had them.

The glasses I purchased got me many compliments.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 07:08 PM

You need to get glasses and wear them. You need to be able to see what you are doing. Who cares what everyone else thinks? Sure, kids are cruel, but you are not going to be a kid all your life, are you? No. Get the glasses so you can see the blackboard and make better grades and be better than the other kids. You are the one who will suffer if you can't see properly, not them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 08:45 PM

If you need glasses there is not a choice, you wear them.

The cruel kids may pick on you, but if they do they would anyway, who cares,
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 12:30 AM

Hi, BrainyDiva11!

Some styles of glasses can be really cool! :)

When you discuss with an optician concerning the choice of style and frame, I'm sure that the optician will be able to advise you as to what's really the "in" style that people might be wearing these days.

Besides that, I'm sure that you won't be the only person your age in middle school who wears glasses. So, you won't be alone.

Thanks!
    BrainyDiva11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, BrainyDiva11!

Some styles of glasses can be really cool! :)

When you discuss with an optician concerning the choice of style and frame, I'm sure that the optician will be able to advise you as to what's really the "in" style that people might be wearing these days.

Besides that, I'm sure that you won't be the only person your age in middle school who wears glasses. So, you won't be alone.

Thanks!

Thanks that really helps and u are right I would be alone but what frames do you suggest if I do need glasses?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrainyDiva11 View Post

Thanks that really helps and u are right I would be alone but what frames do you suggest if I do need glasses?
    We really cannot suggest what frames you need. Frames depend mostly on the shape of your face. Other factors are your skin tone as well.

The optician at the eye doctor's is the best one to advise you on what frames fit you best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 05:31 AM

Have the people there help you. So much depends on the shape of your face, size, and even skin color to find one that matches you best. In the end it is the pair you think looks best
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 07:21 PM

BrainyDiva - I have been wearing glasses since I was in 8th grade. What part of my post to you do you find judgmental? You didn't state what your grades were in your original post. I was giving you encouragement to be able to see properly. I ended up not being able to see the blackboard in class even though I joined MENSA at age 16 with an IQ of 162. I always got A's in all my classes.

You CAN get contacts you know. You don't just have to get glasses. So get over the part where you have a hard time with what frames to get. Don't get any frames. That should solve your problem. If you choose not to get glasses or contacts you will have a hard time getting a driver's license and passing the eye test.
    iLy541 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 07:36 PM

Glasses Rock!!
    I got them and I'm in high school and everyone knows me as the latina with curly hair and glasses. You should Pick out a style that fits you, not ones that everyone wheres, for example. Those D&G glasses, everyone in NYC has them but I choose ones imported from Japan. It works for me, highlights my eyes and fits my face. Look for glasses that make your assests stand out.Good LuCk :)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 17, 2009, 07:45 PM

If glasses make you look different, and I know this sounds weird, change your hair.

I used to have very VERY short hair, glasses didn't go well with them at all. I usually wear contact lenses, but since I've grown my hair out longer, the glasses look great with it. It just depends on what frames you get, and how they work with the rest of your body.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 14, 2009, 02:02 PM

To me, I think glasses are FINE!.

Glasses actually make you look very smart too! It makes people probably judge you better. You look more professional and more mature.

75% of it is how YOU judge yourself. The other 25% pretty much does not matter.
    misplaced 2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 11:51 PM
    Hi Sweetie...

I've been there and done that... though it was a long time ago. By now, you probably have your glasses and are adjusting... but don't forget Junior high and high school aren't that far away. You could save up for contacts if you still feel the same way by then. I think that by your freshman year the docs will consider you "old" enough. Oh yes, if your perscription is for reading you can do what I do. I go to Dollar Tree (don't laugh or snicker) and buy five pair at a time... for a dollar a pair. I have every color in the rainbow... and a bunch that are painted with funky designs. They've become my trademark and every one seems to enjoy my color coordinated craziness. On a serious note though, I know there have to be kids in your school that have "heart". Go find them... and forget the meanies. I've been to a lot of class reunions... and most of the meanies in my school ended up with dreadful lives!! Hope you're feeling better.
    pebbleella Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Cool good for u I bet just being u turned out good:p;)
    deronette97 Posts: 57, Reputation: 5

Mar 14, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Glasses r awesome! If you have eyesight like me (able to see but not so much) then wear'em whenever you get to your classes. But if your parents suggest you wear'em all the time then pick one that will look like you're wearing awesome sunglasses. Then not much people will make fun of you. Especially if you wear an outfit that match.
    OhTheBrave Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 01:41 PM

I started wearing glasses a few months ago. I was a little afraid that people would pick on me... but so what? I can see right? Most people say: Just ignore them or You'll get used to them, but in my opinion that doesn't really help... what with all these cruel kids out there. I still feel a little unconfortable wearing my glasses, but it helped me and I was able to see the board. I'm not going to judge you or anything, but they can really help you in school. There were a lot of kids picking on me the first time I wore them, but I told them to back off because one it isn't their problem and two the glasses reallly helped me. It may be different with me because I don't have to wear mine all the time, but my friends wear glasses and it really compliments them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being liked by a popular guy [ 6 Answers ]

He told me he liked me, and asked me how to pursue me. But he is a very popular guy in my college. He is handsome, sociable, and smart. Lots of girls like him. I never looked serious when facing his questions, for I am not confident to be his girlfriend. Last relationship really kicked my , and I...

Popular? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, here I go I have been in the same extracurriculars with all the popular people.They have always been nice to me, but lately they have included me more.One girl I have known forever, and we friends.Another was unpopular then became populatr, so she is my good friend.More are nice, and some...

View more questions Search