Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Jan 14, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Cat not using litterbox AT ALL
    I've heard of cats not using their litter box for one or the other but my cat has stopped using his litterbox altogether. He just goes all over the basement. He won't use the litterbox for anything. I tried changing to a different litter to see if that was it but it didn't make a difference.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions before taking him to the vet...
    broncosjenny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 04:01 PM
    If your cat has a crate it may be best to limit its space for a bit and slowly expand. If this does not help definitely consult your vet. They may have some answers as far as urinary problems for you!
    broncosjenny
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jan 15, 2009, 03:34 AM

Have you changed the position of the box? If so he might not like the new position. Also clean it frequently, cats will not use dirty littere boxes... Did anything bad happen to him while he was near or usingf the litter box?? If so he could associate this bad thing with using the litter box.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 06:46 AM

You said that you've tried different litter, but have you tried a new box all together?

I know your frustration - I had a cat that would "mark" areas around my old apartment. Turns out, he was mad at me for getting another cat. Have you introduced a new cat, or had a new baby, or gotten new furniture, anything that could "upset" the cat? You'd be surprised at what makes them "mad!"

If it isn't any of these things, you may just want to take her to the vet for a checkup. Best of luck!
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Jan 15, 2009, 04:54 PM

Well, it really started when we moved to a new house. He used the box for awhile and then just completely quit. Now I have moved again but haven't brought him with me because I don't want him peeing in my new place! (He is still at the last house with my ex.)

After he quit using the box, I moved it to a different place and I also tried taking the cover off it. He's a big cat so I thought maybe he felt too confined. But nothing has worked.

Guess it's time to take him to the vet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New fixed rescue dog peeing near litterbox repeatedly in house [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 indoor litter-trained cats and 1 female, fixed house-trained dog. I've recently acquired a 2yr pit-terrior male (fixed). He is a lovable attention-seeking dog. He pees outside and never in his crate. Problem: it seems just when I am not looking, he will pee on the carpet near the...

Cat won't use litterbox anymore [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older rescued male cat that always used litter box with no problem, until I got a kitten about 8 months ago. He will poop in box but urinates on the floor or wherever it lands. They are both neutered males and get along extremely well. Anything I can do??

Cat Stopped Using Litterbox [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 16-year old cat that suddenly stopped using her litterbox and does her business elsewhere in the house. This has never been a problem before. We have been using the same brand of litter for many years. It is a scoopable litter called Ever Clean. I tried completely changing out the litter...

Litterbox Lunch [ 7 Answers ]

My four month old puppy broke out of his kennel this morning. I must not have had the door latched properly. Anyway, he proceeded to eat the contents of the cat's litter box. His appetite is fine and his energy is great. Is this something I should be worried about?

View more questions Search