Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greeneyes05 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Georgia Auto Title Loan
    I received a title loan in October of 2006 in the amount of 3600 to assist my father after he had a small stroke. I have made 24 payments totalling almost 9,000 and the balance of the loan is still almost 3600. I was recently injured at work, the worker's comp has not come through yet and Title Max is threatening repossession (and an arrest warrant) and am less than a month overdue on the payment. The payment also increases $11 each day so my original payment of 352 is now 680. Do I have any recourse? My car is the only asset I have and have been unable to secure another loan to cover this. In total I've paid 11,800 cash purchase plus the $9000 to title max. I really need help. Thanks
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 01:00 PM

What type of interest rate did you agree to? I can't see how you've paid 2.5 times the amount you originally financed, only to have the balance remain the original amount.

Have you been late on payments before? I assume so, as you said you've only made 24 payments and it's been 27 months since you originated the loan. If you're short 3 payments, then you're much more than "less than a month behind" on the contract.

Have you contacted TitleMax to tell them that you're waiting for a compensation check?

Jan 14, 2009, 01:11 PM
    I have never been late on a payment-not even once, and as originally stated I am less than one month behind. I have made 24 payments, thus 2 years. 10 pmts at 402 and 14 at 352. This is a title loan, not a regular bank loan
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 01:26 PM

I know you said you made 24 payments, which is where the problem is. You stated that you got the title loan in October of 2006. 24 payments would only pay up to November 2008 and we're in January 2009, which would mean you're at least 2 payments behind. So which is it? Have you made all the payments or have you not?

Jan 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Please don't think I'm an idiot but I wasn't thinking about it being January! I have made 26 pmts, and the December pmt was due on Dec 16. My bad...

Jan 14, 2009, 02:02 PM
    I did inform them about the worker's comp, and they gave me until this Friday to pay before repossession. This company has no regular grace period. Thank you for your help
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 02:15 PM

What is your interest rate on the loan, if I can ask? It has to be impossibly high for you to not even have made a dent in the original amount.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 14, 2009, 02:35 PM

Those title loan places are nothing more than high interest rate loan sharks, Those places as well as cash advance places charge a high interest rate. That is why many states have outlawed them.
    Ok Look at your paper work and see what interest rate you agreed to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 03:27 PM

This is normal of title places, they would have supplied you the cost of a loan, most likely 3600 would be somewhere around 18000 to 20,000 t pay it off ( my guess)

It is legal loan sharks.

You can not go to jail, unless you write them bad checks. They can sue and get a judgement and they can repo the car. Beyond that it is threats ( most of illegal)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto loan [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me hot to secure a car laon while on disabilty with no other income

Auto loan [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend had co-signed on the loan with his cousin, about six months ago. Right after he got the car he was in an accident and the other car had no insurance, and his cousin did not have real good insurance. He had his car at an autoshop and told them not to work on it until he was sure the...

Auto reposession/Default on Auto Loan [ 3 Answers ]

To whom could lend some immediate advice, I purchased a 2005 brand new vehicle in 2005. This automobile has been repossessed as of 5/07. In addition, I filed bankruptcy (Chapter 13) in 2006 to avoid this very problem, however that has been dismissed for lack of payments. My current...

Auto Loan [ 2 Answers ]

I just bougth a minivan Grand Caravan 2 months ago it turn out to be a lemon. It's there a way to return it or get rid of the loan?

View more questions Search