Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dldelgado Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2009, 12:23 PM
    My 21 year old daughter wants her stepfather to adopt her!
    My 21 year old daughter would like my new husband to adopt her. She does not want to be her current last name which is my ex-husband's last name. Can you perhaps tell me what she can do to make this happen? How can she have my new last name?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dldelgado View Post
    My 21 year old daughter would like my new husband to adopt her. She does not want to be her current last name which is my ex-husband's last name. Can you perhaps tell me what she can do to make this happen? How can she have my new last name?

She's of legal age and can change her name - she doesn't need to be adopted to do so. She can also be adopted but will need to notify her natural father and he will have to consent. Another adult posted this same question last Spring and I was surprised to find out that she needed either consent or a Court order. I don't know how the Court proceeding ended.

Or does she want to be adopted AND change her name?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 12:45 PM

At 21 why don't she just legally change her name?
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    at 21 why don't she just legally change her name?

She may want to be adopted so she is recognized as a legal child for purposes of a Will - it's posted on the legal threads now and then.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic19 View Post
    i duno if its the same by you? but here in sa (south africa) 21 is considerd adult. and adults can't be adopted, i think? what she can do and if its ok with yr husband, she can go to court and ask them to change her surname! it costs some money to do thou..

Adults can be adopted in the US - I believe that's true in all States. Happens fairly often due to Wills, "second famlies," that type of thing.

The daughter does not need the permission of the husband to use his last name. You can pick any name as long as it's not for purposes of illegal activity, fraud, harassment.
    dldelgado Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all your input. I will let her know.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 16, 2009, 02:46 PM
    It shouldn't be hard for your new husband to adopt your 21 year old daughter. Your daughter does not need her biological fathers permission because she is now an adult. The only thing is if your daughter is married, then she will need permission to be adopted from her husband. If not, it should be really simple. I did both my adoptions online when I adopted my boys. My sisters hubby adopted her 2 children through the online company as well. It IS something that can happen. Check out the laws in your state.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by div2wice View Post
    It shouldn't be hard for your new husband to adopt your 21 year old daughter. Your daughter does not need her biological fathers permission because she is now an adult. The only thing is if your daughter is married, then she will need permission to be adopted from her husband. If not, it should be really simple. I did both my adoptions online when I adopted my boys. My sisters hubby adopted her 2 children through the online company as well. It IS something that can happen. Check out the laws in your state.

I keep asking you what State allows on line adoptions. Would you please answer me?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by div2wice View Post
    And I'd like to know the overturn rate of the adoptions through this rapid online company, as well.

It seems to me that the shortcuts they take can't always be the legal ones, and that anyone with a good lawyer could get an adoption overturned because of those shortcuts.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    And I'd like to know the overturn rate of the adoptions through this rapid online company, as well.

It seems to me that the shortcuts they take can't always be the legal ones, and that anyone with a good lawyer could get an adoption overturned because of those shortcuts.

The information posted is simply incorrect. If this person is attempting to sell the "fill out the paperwork" service, that's one thing, but the "on line adoption" statement is not true. There is no State that allows "on line adoption," no personal appearance.

I also wonder why someone who can't afford an Attorney to make certain that the adoption is totally in order can afford to adopt children? No one is saying you have to be wealthy to adopt children. I AM saying if you can't afford to do it legally, don't do it at all.

I would also like to see the challenges to any of these "do it yourself" legal matters. At one time the statistics for the number of "do it yourself" bankruptcies that were denied or set aside was staggering - of course, now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it.

Got to think that adoption is the same way - except with adoption a LOT of people get hurt.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 17, 2009, 08:49 AM

He can't legally adopt her because she's over the age of 18.

However she can go before a judge and change her last name to her step-father's.

There is no online form of this.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks21 View Post
    He can't legally adopt her because she's over the age of 18.

However she can go before a judge and change her last name to her step-father's.

There is no online form of this.

That's not correct in all States. Adults can adopt other adults. Maybe not in Texas but they can in NY and it's been posted before. It's often for purposes of inheritance.

Of course, a name change is always possible if there is no need/want for adoption.

Do we know where OP is - or are you going to make me read the entire thread a second time - :).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problematic step daughter-stepfather relationship [ 7 Answers ]

Recently, my 15 year old daughter had her twin sister tell me that she was "in a relationship" with a girl they had both been hanging out with and that she is "bisexual." I and her stepfather are having a hard time dealing with this. There have been many lies told regarding how long this girl was...

Helping the transition of Stepfather and daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old daughter and we have just moved in with my boyfriend. We have plans of getting married and having children. All of which my daughter wants. But it seems when ever my boyfriend tells her something she gets mad and cries. Also says he's being mean. I know this is not the case. I...

My stepfather wants to adopt me, what are some pros and cons in the legal system? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 20 year old step-daughter, and my mom and step-dad want for him to adopt me. My mothers health is not good (she has Hep C and other liver problems) and in all reality, she probably does not have much time left. Call it paranoia, but I would like to know the legal differences of this...

My 17 year old son wants to be a stepfather! [ 7 Answers ]

I know this sounds crazy but my 17 year old son has a new girlfriend and she is 15 years old and has a 2 month old baby. He is very softhearted and he swears that he loves her and wants to be with her.He said that the baby's dad ran out on her and he wants to take care of the baby.:confused: He...

Stepfather wants to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have three children, two of which are from a previous relationship she had before our relationship began. I have been a father to these beautiful children for 12 and 11 years. Their biological father walked out of their lives when they were 4 months and 1years old, and he has never...

View more questions Search