Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    musesarah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Claiming a child
    I just had a baby in Oct. of 2008. I was wondering if I can claim him on my 2008 return and how much I can expect. I am head of household and I made 12,300.
    Linnette1973 Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

Jan 14, 2009, 01:28 PM

I definitely know you can claim him/her as an exemption since he is your child AND living with you. As long was the child is born in 2008

Now you have to consider a few things that you may be able to claim

1. Dependent Care Expense - separate form that you detail the cost of expenses paid to third party for daycare etc.

2. Child Tax Credit - separate form that you may be able to claim a credit the instruction manual for form 1040 an 1040A has a calculation sheet to figure this

3. Earned Income Credit - definitely will be able to get this also this will be around $2,000 (give or take) depending on the schedule for this year.

All of this can increase your return amount.

I've done my own taxes since I was 16 (with zero errors) this gives you some brief information on what you can get.

Go to Internal Revenue Service

Click " Individuals"

Go to forms and print the forms and instructions just to help you get familiar with the guidelines.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 03:23 PM
    You will definitely be able to claim the Child Tax Credit for $1,000 and probably get a substantial Earned Income Credit.

Credit for the Dependent Care requires that you actually HAVE dependent care expenses incurred while you go to work or school. Given that you just gave birth, you (hopefully) are still on maternal leave and have not incurred these expenses in 2008. Still, it IS good information to know for your 2009 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming child [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find out who claimed my child on their taxes

Claiming a Child [ 4 Answers ]

Can I claim my daugter on my taxes if she is still attending college, and 26 yrs old?

Claiming a child [ 3 Answers ]

Hi see I am going through this thing with my parent and my boyfriend and his parents. The thing is my boyfriend (also my daughter father) thinks he can claim her on taxes even though for the first year of her life she has lived here at my parents home with me and he also resides here but his...

Claiming child [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend made more money this year about 40,000 claiming single I made less about 15,000 claiming single who would get more back in taxes claiming the child?

Claiming child [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I think my ex is claiming our daughter on his taxes. I know he can not do this, so how do I handle it? My income is tax exempt, so I don't have to file taxes. Is there a number I can call to see if he is or what can I do? :confused: After not wanting to give me a penny for years he came up...

View more questions Search