Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bammer Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Jan 14, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Aluminum conductor size for service.
    I am installing a new service on my residence and I am installing a pole mount meter equipment box with CT metering equipment. It will have an ampacity of 400 amps and will feed both my home and garage.
    The service at the house is 120/240 volts and is a 200 amp panel.
    The run in question is 200 meters in length. And will be installed under ground from the metering equipment to the home.
    My question is... with a 3% voltage drop at 200 meters underground. What size of aluminum condutors are required to feed the 200 amp 120/240 volt panel at the home?
    Please let me know,
    Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 11:03 AM

It's not going to happen at 656 feet.

There is some confusion with 400 A service and 200 A panels.
    Is that 200 meters at 400 A or 200 meters at 200 A?

In any event, it still won't happen. Your going to need primary service (High Voltage) to get it closer. In which case, you will need to talk to the Utility to figure out what their requirements are.

Jan 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Aluminum conductors
    For: Keep It SimpleStupid

I thought I was clear, Sorry.

The utility feeds a panel referred to as a JS4 (customer owned). It's a 400 amp distribution panel that feeds other services. I am going to use this install to feed my garage, one 200 amp panel and my home, another 200 amp panel. Drawing at the most, 400 amps at the distribution panel, where the metering equipment is also installed. I know it can be done, all that I require is a conductor size to supply the 200 amp panel, from the JS4 to the house. The distance is 200 meters underground.
    Hope this explains.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
    I agree. 200m is WAY too far to go with secondary voltage (120/240). You need to put the transformer closer to the load.

Also, 3% total for the service is low. 5% total would be more realistic.
    Also, what number are you using to figure this VD? Not the full 400A I hope.

Jan 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Please do not start a whole new thread to answer a question. Simply reply in the existing thread.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 12:18 PM

<Threads merged>

Jan 14, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Nice, you have a total of two posts yet you have already left two negative comments for two of us.

Mr. Bammer. I am quite sure how to size the conductors. If you are not then maybe you should not be tackling such a large project that is obviously over your head.

If you wind up doing this I wish you luck. You're going to need it!

Jan 14, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Turns out, all I'm going to get here is a bunch of smart comments. I ask a simple question and all I received was advice on how I am in over my head. That is not what I was looking for. I wanted a conductor size, I did not get it. Thanks for once again.. wasting my time KISS.

Jan 14, 2009, 01:04 PM
    OK Skippy. You want it, you got it.

You would need either 1000mcm CU or parallel 500mcm CU.
    You will have an impossible time terminating these conductors and they will cost approximately $35,000.

Happy??

If you don't know what you are getting yourself into maybe you should not get yourself into it!
    Like I said, good luck.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 01:22 PM

Or assuming 60 deg termination THHW (if permitted) Wet location Aluminum 1-3 current carrying conductors in raceway.

Continuous load of 200 A, OCPD sized for 200A

1750 kcmil conductors
    Grounding conductor 350 kcmil

Will yield a 2.7% voltage drop at 660 feet.

You may be able to reduce the neutral size. Neutral doesn't count as a current carrying conductor.

And, I guess you will need two of these unless the other one is in place. Conduit would have to be bigger if all in the same one.

Do us a favor and post the estimated cost.

Why not ask the utility if they can do remote metering on a primary feed to a dry location such as your garage where you will provide the necessary equipment.

This does not include the recommended conduit size.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 02:52 PM

Bammer, I'm curious as to where you are located.

240 VAC the allowable voltage drop is 7.2% 120 VAC the allowable drop is 3.6%

No one here is trying to poke at you. You really need to start this discussion with the power company. Running secondary transformer cable 200 meters is not a wise thing to do.

It's the power company that sets the distances they will allow off their transformers. Power Companies are not bound by the NEC code.

Power Companies use their own code book. Power Companies typically own everything right up to the service head.

Electricians and the NEC own the requirement and codes from the service head throughout the structure.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculation of conductor size for different current load [ 3 Answers ]

Please give me answer

Adequate conductor size for art studio/ apt. [ 6 Answers ]

Converting detached garage to art studio/ apt. What is recommended conductor size to bring service from separate meter based on following:(1) approx. 70' including vert. run in 2' pvc, buried 2' to top. (2) anticipate 150 amp panel (3) My wife wants;tankless water heater, stove/oven,...

Range wiring - breaker and conductor size [ 4 Answers ]

This weekend I will be wiring a 120/240v 8,800 watt range (oven with 4 burners on top). My questions concern wire and breaker size. I've asked about this before and I still cannot determine the best answer. I understand that under the NEC, the minimum sized circuit for a range is 40 amp, using...

Service Entrance Conductor Size / Multiple Bonding [ 1 Answers ]

I am running service to a small, 1 room office, at a barn in the country. The electric utility pole has a transformer (230 V, 1 phase) and 200 amp meter. On the pole I have a 200 amp circuit breaker. From the circuit breaker on the meter pole, I have 4/0 4/0 2/0 AL cable in 2" PVC conduit...

Service conductor wire size [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a two-unit apartment that previously had fuse boxes for services. I am installing a two meter box outside to supply separate 200-amp rated main circuit breaker panels, one for each apartment. The calculated load for one apartment is about 102 amps, the other about 132 amps. What minimum...

View more questions Search