Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mukiwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Child support for college students
    I have been divorced for eight years, during which time I paid child support to my ex wife. The decree was ordered in PA where she lives and I was ordered to pay child support until each child graduated from school. I have lived in NY since the divorce. My first child then moved to NY after graduating from school and has lived with me for two years while he attends college locally, and I continue to pay support for my younger child. He will be graduating from school this summer and will also be coming to live with me here in NY and attend the same college as his brother. I will therefore be totally supporting both children (or dependants if you wish).
    I am of the opinion, that both parents have a moral obligation regarding support, financially and otherwise... whether the courts share my point of view is my question.
    Do I have any right to claim support from my ex wife while my children live with me and are still at college. She currently does not contribute financially at all to my eldest child, directly or not. Your comments and advise will be appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukiwa View Post
    I have been divorced for eight years, during which time I paid child support to my ex wife. The decree was ordered in PA where she lives and I was ordered to pay child support until each child graduated from school. I have lived in NY since the divorce. My first child then moved to NY after graduating from school and has lived with me for two years while he attends college locally, and I continue to pay support for my younger child. He will be graduating from school this summer and will also be coming to live with me here in NY and attend the same college as his brother. I will therefore be totally supporting both children (or dependants if you wish).
    I am of the opinion, that both parents have a moral obligation regarding support, financially and otherwise...whether the courts share my point of view is my question.
    Do I have any right to claim support from my ex wife while my children live with me and are still at college. She currently does not contribute financially at all to my eldest child, directly or not. Your comments and advise will be appreciated.

You would have to go to the same Court that issued the original Order and ask for a change due to changed circumstances.

If you provide total support for your child/children and their mother provides nothing, they live with you, then I don't know why you would also be expected to pay support for them to their mother.

But only the Court knows 100%.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2009, 07:40 AM

When your eldest moved in with your, you should have tried to modify the custody agreement. There is nothing stopping you from trying to modify it now. Whether the courts will agree to it is another matter. But they may.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Child support and college [ 4 Answers ]

I was hoping someone could help me. My husband as a son who lives with his mother. He starts college in the fall and will be dorming. Does my husband still need to pay child support to his mother since he technically is not living at home? I live in the state of NY and the divorce decree doesn't...

Child Support Law after 18 and in College [ 3 Answers ]

My divorce agreement stated that my ex husband would not have to pay child support after our son turned 18. He still had 6 months of high school ti complete, and is now in college. It is my understanding that California law has changed, and that the father is obligated to directly contribute to...

College Students + Parental Financial Support [ 2 Answers ]

I have two boys who are both at college. They each have part time jobs. They spend their money on gas and novelties. I am paying an outrageous amount to insure their vehicles and pay for their cell phones. I know a lot of parents flip the bills for their kids while in school but I am not really...

Child support for Rotary Exchange Students [ 4 Answers ]

I have a daugter whom I have physical custody of. She spent the past year in Ecuador as a Rotary Exchange student. The New York State family court ruled in my exhusbands favor to cut out child support while she attended her senior year of high school there. She left my home in August and I lost...

View more questions Search