Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taraknapp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 05:30 AM
    2 names on deed 1 on mortgage. Am I in trouble?
    My boyfreind and I bought a house together, he had terrible credit and mine was really good so we did not put his on the mortgage. We did however put his name on the deed with mine. We are now broke up and he is threatening me about the house. I am unable to live there, he refuses to leave and he is telling me that I have to buy him out. I do not care one way or another I get the house, is there a way to get my name off the mortgage and transferred to his? I would like to keep this out of court if at all possible.. I am also afraid that he will not pay me for half of the mortgage payment coming up.. this will result in a court appearance.

Advise to anyone.. don't ever buy a house with someone and have only 1 name on the mortgage and both names on the deed to the house. It's a horrible mess!!
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 14, 2009, 06:22 AM

If his name is on the deed, he is half owner. Of course, that probably means that he should pay half the mortgage also. I think that you need a lawyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2009, 06:41 AM

I'm surprised the lender gave you a mortgage on only a half interest. Did you add his name AFTER closing?

But in any event if he is on the registered deed, he's a half owner. The only way to get one of your name's off is for one of you to buy out the other. This will mean getting new financing.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 01:10 PM

Why can't you live there? It's your house too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 03:51 PM

As 1/2 owner you can rent a room to the homeless man on the corner for a dollar a month if you want. As owner you can hire someone to move the water line taking a month or so to do it.

But he will have to get a loan and buy you out, to get your name off the mortgage. To get him off the deed you can try and force him to sell the house perhaps, or buy him out.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    As 1/2 owner you can rent a room to the homeless man on the corner for a dollar a month if you want. As owner you can hire someone to move the water line taking a month or so to do it.

But he will have to get a loan and buy you out, to get your name off the mortage. To get him off the deed you can try and force him to sell the house perhaps, or buy him out.
    You are SO much nicer than I am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Names on Deed not Mortgage can they come after me? [ 5 Answers ]

When my husband and I bought our house I didn't work so they only wanted to put the mortgage in his name. They put my name on the deed and not the mortgage. The house is in the state of Pennsylvania. Now we are in preforeclosure and the letters are coming in my name. Can they come after me if...

Names on Deed not Mortgage can they come after me? [ 5 Answers ]

When my husband and I bought our house I didn't work so they only wanted to put the mortgage in his name. They put my name on the deed and not the mortgage. The house is in the state of Pennsylvania. Now we are in preforeclosure and the letters are coming in my name. Can they come after me if...

Mortgage has both names [ 2 Answers ]

Being married only a year, the house has both names on it, initially it was the husbands house and when they married the wife's name was put on, can he somehow void her name as he is paying the mortgage himself as she does not work. She receives funding from the government for a health issue which...

Same names on mortgage and deed? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it necessary to have the same names on the mortgage and deed? When my husband and I bought our Colorado home, my mother signed on the loan since I was only a student. We would like to quitclaim her portion of the deed. Can we do this without going through the process of changing the mortgage...

Name on Mortgage Vs Names on Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a mortgage commitment from my mortgage company, but ONLY on my name. My wife wants to be sure her name appears on the Deed from the time of closing. Is this possible without disturbing the mortgage commitment or starting all over to look for a loan? Jfe

View more questions Search