Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sudaca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Question re:roommates and security deposits
    My roommate gave me a 2 1/2 week, verbal notice of leaving the apartment, and now is demanding her share of the security deposit on the last day of this month (both of our names are on the lease, which is month-to-month).

My question is: does the 30 day rule for landlords apply to me? Is she entitled to get it back?

Any help would be appreciated!
    :confused:
    Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Tell the roommate to go fly a kite. If you are both willing to move, then give the landlord the proper notice and split what is returned to you. If you plan to stay, then let your current roommate know you'll return half of what you get back when you move out.

You don't have to give her anything at this point.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 27, 2006, 09:17 AM
    It is not your responsibility nor right to release your room mate from the lease, or refund their half of the security deposit. That belongs to the landlord. The landlord will most likely not agree to a release and refund, unless the room mate is replaced by another co-tenant acceptable to the landlord, and substitution of the 1/2 security deposit by you or ne new co-tenant. If your room mate leaves you unable to pay the full rent by yourself, the landlord can sue both of you. If your room mate doesn't care about their credit and/or is uncollectable in case of a judgment you're screwed. Never enter into any joint financial obligation with another person, unless you know that person VERY well. Good luck.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
    I agree. I learned the hard way with my first roommate. Not only did he rack up considerable bills on the utilities in my name. Upon moving out, I was informed by the landlord that he himself had neither ever received my security deposit, nor the last month's rent, from my roommate who disappeared without a trace one day. I trusted him to relay such, but in the end, I came home to a relatively bare apartment one afternoon.
    Sudaca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Yeah, I thought so
    Thank you very much!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Hello Sudaca:

Everybody's got it.

However, I would present it to her in simpler and less threatening terms. Tell her that YOU and SHE are co-tenants. HER agreement is with the LANDLORD, not with you. Additionally, it's the LANDLORD who has the deposit, not you. So, if the LANDLORD wants to let her out of her lease, then she should talk to the LANDLORD, not you.

Generally, reason used on the unreasonable is an exercise in futility. However, one must try, mustn't one?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all I am new here. I was researching laws on security deposits and found this fourm. So here is the story... In August of 2004 my husband and I were 15 days late on the rent. We tried talking to our Landlord to tell him we were expecting money in October and to let us pay rent as usual...

Rental Security Deposits in PA [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I need to know if it is a PA state law that a landlord deposits your security deposit into an interest bearing bank account? I asked my landlord about depositing my security ($750.00) into a bank account and he told me that he opted not to do that and that he used my security money on...

Security deposits [ 1 Answers ]

In Florida (broward county) do landlords have to put the security deposits in escrow accounts?

Security Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question.. state is New Hampshire. Does anyone know if a security deposit ( by law) should be put into an account?I am aware that a unit of 6 or more is required an account,I want to know if it applies for a 2 unit also.

Security Deposits [ 5 Answers ]

If a Rental Property changes ownership is the repsonsibility of the New owner to get Security Deposits paid by the Tenants that already occupy apartments in building? The management company of the new owner of my building is telling me I will have to track down the previous owner to try and get my...

View more questions Search