Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Jan 13, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Word 2003 / 2007
    Hi there I have another fault how do you change your dictionary words in word as another user has the problem that when he does a spell check it will finish but there will be some words that are completely wrong. And was wondering how you can change it?

Thanks in advance
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2009, 12:28 PM

You can create custom dictionaries. The following is from the Help in Word 2003:

Create and use custom dictionaries Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.
    To prevent Microsoft Word from flagging the spelling of words that aren't in the main dictionary, you can use a custom dictionary (custom dictionary: A list of words not in the standard dictionary that an author wants the spelling checker to accept as correct.). Word shares custom dictionaries with other Microsoft programs, such as Microsoft Outlook.
    Create or add a custom dictionary

Create a new custom dictionary
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.
    2. Click Custom Dictionaries.
    3. Click New.
    4. In the File name box, type a name for the custom dictionary.
    5. Click Save.
    6. In the Dictionary list box, select the new custom dictionary.
    7. Activate the custom dictionary. How?
      1. In the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, make sure the check box beside the dictionary's name is selected.
      2. On the Spelling & Grammar tab, clear the Suggest from main dictionary only check box.

Add an existing custom dictionary
    The Custom Dictionaries dialog box lists the available custom dictionaries Word can use to check spelling. If the dictionary you want to use — for example, one you purchased from a third-party company — is installed on your computer but not listed in the Dictionary list box, you can add it.
    If you need help installing a third-party dictionary, see the installation instructions for that dictionary.
    [LIST=1][*]On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.[*]Click
    3. If the custom dictionary you want isn't in the Custom Dictionaries box, click Add.
    4. Locate the folder containing the custom dictionary you want, and double-click the dictionary file.
    5. If you want to make this dictionary the default dictionary, click the dictionary name, and then click Change Default.
    6. Activate the custom dictionary. How?
      1. In the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, make sure the check box beside the dictionary's name is selected.
      2. On the Spelling & Grammar tab, clear the Suggest from main dictionary only check box.
    7. If the custom dictionary you want isn't in the Edit a custom dictionary box, click Add.
    8. Locate the folder containing the custom dictionary you want, and double-click the dictionary file.
    9. If you want to make this dictionary the default dictionary, click the dictionary name, and then click Change Default.
    10. Activate the custom dictionary. How?
      1. In the Add, delete, or edit words in a custom dictionary dialog box, make sure the check box beside the dictionary's name is selected.

3. Select the dictionary you want to edit. Make sure you do not clear its check box.
    4. Click Modify.
    5. Do one of the following:
      • To add a word, type it in the Word box, and then click Add.
      • To delete a word, select it in the Dictionary box, and then click Delete.
      • To edit a word, delete it, and then add it with the spelling you want.

Add words to a custom dictionary during a spelling check
    2. Click
      1. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click Spelling and Grammar
      2. In the Not in Dictionary box, make sure you see the word you want to add to a custom dictionary.
      3. To select the custom dictionary you want to add words to, click Options, and then click Custom Dictionaries. Select the check box next to a dictionary in the Dictionary list box, and then click OK twice. Note If you don't see your custom dictionary in the list, you need to select the check box next to the dictionary to activate it.
      4. Click Add to Dictionary.
    3. Select the dictionary you want to edit. Make sure you do not clear its check box.
    4. Click Modify.
    5. Do one of the following:
      • To add a word, type it in the Word box, and then click Add.
      • To delete a word, select it in the Dictionary box, and then click Delete.
      • To edit a word, delete it, and then add it with the spelling you want.

Tip
    1. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click Spelling and Grammar
    2. In the Not in Dictionary box, make sure you see the word you want to add to a custom dictionary.
    3. To select the custom dictionary you want to add words to, click Options, and then click Add to Dictionary. Select the check box next to a dictionary in the shortcut menu (shortcut menu: A menu that shows a list of commands relevant to a particular item. To display a shortcut menu, right-click an item or press SHIFT+F10.) box, and then click OK twice. Change the language associated with a custom dictionary If you don't see your custom dictionary in the list, you need to select the check box next to the dictionary to activate it.
    4. Click All Languages.
    3. In the Dictionary list box, click the dictionary you want.
    4. Click Modify.
    5. In the Language box, click the language you want for the dictionary.

If you're using automatic spell checking, here's an even faster way to add a word to the default custom dictionary: Right-click a word with a wavy red underline, and then click Change the default custom dictionary on the Note.

All languages
    By default, when you create a new custom dictionary, Word sets the dictionary to
    3. In the Dictionary list box, select the dictionary you want.
      • To change the default dictionary for all languages, click the dictionary name. If the list includes dictionaries for more than one language, click the dictionary name under All languages.
      • To change the default dictionary for a particular language, click the dictionary name under the language heading.
    4. Click Change Default. The next time you check spelling, Word uses the default custom dictionary you selected.
    , meaning that the dictionary is used when you check the spelling of text in any language. However, you can associate a custom dictionary with a particular language so that Word only uses the dictionary when you check spelling of text in a particular language.
    2. Click [bbcode][/bbcode].
    3. In the [bbcode][/bbcode] box, click the dictionary you want.
    4. Click Modify.
    5. In the Language box, click the language you want for the dictionary.

[bbcode][/bbcode]
    You can change the custom dictionary that Word uses by default to check spelling, either for all languages or for a particular language. [bbcode][/bbcode] Each dictionary language grouping, including [bbcode][/bbcode], has a default custom dictionary.

2. Click [bbcode][/bbcode].
    3. In the [bbcode][/bbcode] box, select the dictionary you want.
      • To change the default dictionary for all languages, click the dictionary name. If the list includes dictionaries for more than one language, click the dictionary name under [bbcode][/bbcode].
      • To change the default dictionary for a particular language, click the dictionary name under the language heading.
    4. Click Change Default. The next time you check spelling, Word uses the default custom dictionary you selected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word 2003/2007 [ 4 Answers ]

In word 2003 with the 2007 compatibility pack installed one of my users computers but when he tries to type anything it comes up as little capitals and if he hits shift or caps lock it is then normal large capitals does anyone know how to change it to normal text when shift and or caps lock is off?

WORD 2003 Doc getting somehow saved as 2007.rtf [ 12 Answers ]

This is an odd situation. My mother-in-law who knows NOTHING about computers, has WORD 2003 on her computer - I installed it for her. She has been creating simple Word documents and saving them for about 6 months or so with no problem. Today, somehow, all of her WORD 2003 Documents are now...

Missing File with Word 2003 (all Office 2003 programs) [ 3 Answers ]

I recently started having problems opening any of my Office 2003 Professional programs. The files seem to open, but an error pops up saying that I'm missing a file named PS561401.cab, and can not open without reinstalling the program. I don't have the installation disks for Office, as this...

MS Word 2007 Security [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change save documents so they can be read by all users that log on to my PC? I use MS Word 2007 to type letters and I save them, but they can only be opened or edited by me and I want to save them so that anyone logged on to my PC can open them as we sometimes use word when someone is...

Word 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

How do you insert a table into word 2003?

View more questions Search