Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Can Engagement rings be worn always?
    I just proposed to my girlfriend last night and she said yes. I have never been more happier. Anyway, Can they be worn always? Like to sleep or what? I don't know what is normal. Do most women take them off when they go to sleep? It just doesn't seem normal to me, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:40 AM

Typically engagement rings are always worn, there is less likelihood of losing them that way.

Some women will choose to take them off for dishes and showering, but most all women will sleep with them on.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:45 AM

Ok, I thought so. She said she wanted to take it off when showering and when sleeping. I understand the Shower thing I guess, but I didn't so much get the Bed thing. Plus she loses things so much it isn't even funny. Her parents had to give me a spare key to her car because she always locked it in her car. She said she was afraid she would snag the diamond on something and break it. It is a real diamond and was very expensive and is completely warrentied so I would think she should wear it all the time so she doesn't lose it!
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jan 13, 2009, 11:47 AM

Tell her so!
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:50 AM

That's fine then? I can just tell her I want her to wear it at all times and she shouldn't have a problem with it?
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:51 AM

I would suggest it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Telling her may help you find yourself... unengaged... J/K
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:53 AM

First of all, congratulations!! I always wear my wedding rings to bed. I do take them off in the shower though so I don't get soap and conditioner stuck in it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:58 AM

Thank you everybody. I understand the shower thing. I will suggest her wearing it at all times. I wouldn't ever demand it. Or I most definitely would find myself un engaged. Lol.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 11:59 AM

The only time Ive had my wedding ring off was during the last month of my pregnancy, 28years ago. That was because my hands were swelling.
    If she loses things all of the time I'd tell her about your concerns. If telling her that is enough to get you unengaged, you two have some problems bigger than a ring.
    Communication is key in a relationship and you should be able to talk to each other about your concerns
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Jan 13, 2009, 12:01 PM

You have to be careful with diamonds that stick up especially when you're a little on the clumsy side. It doesn't take much to accidentally whack it against something and break it off. My engagement/wedding band is a channel set (several diamonds below the level of the metal) anniversary band. I told my husband that's what I wanted and I only needed one ring because I'm clumsy and was afraid I would lose a diamond that stuck up. I can't count how many times I've broken this ring. I've broken one of the decorative pieces off the band twice (they run parallel to the band), I broke the band in two and lost a diamond then had another diamond come loose and fall out. I take it to the jewellery store every 6 months to have it checked and often need diamonds tightened at each check-up. The first time I broke it was less than a week after I got it and if it had been a regular engagement ring the diamond would have been gone.

Her fears are real, make sure that diamond is insured. It's heart breaking to lose/break your wedding/engagement ring trust me. Another option is to buy her a band she feels comfortable wearing for everyday stuff and save the big diamond for special occasions.
    Ber
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:03 PM

Yea. I was joking about her breaking up with me over telling her that. She is very understanding most of the times. Sometimes she is just really emotional. I will talk to her tonight about it. Thank You!
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Her fears are real, make sure that diamond is insured. It's heart breaking to lose/break your wedding/engagement ring trust me. Another option is to buy her a band she feels comfortable wearing for everyday stuff and save the big diamond for special occasions.
    Ber[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. I could get her one that she is more comfortable with to wear all the time. The ring is insured though, so I can replace it if it is broken. I always insure everything. I don't want to take a chance. I just don't think they will replace it if it is lost or stolen. She loses things so much. I don't want it to be this that she loses. I bought her a diamond necklace awhile back and she hasn't lost that one yet. Hopefully she doesn't lose either one!
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:09 PM

Out of curiosity, what kinds of things does she lose? I lose things all the time, but have never lost my rings.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:13 PM

Well, she loses her cell phone, keys, make-up, purse, jacket, sun glases. Just about eveything she carries with her. Haha
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:17 PM

I do that too. A lot of jewelers recommend taking jewelry off when you sleep, so I can understand her concern. If she still wants to take her ring off when she goes to bed, maybe she can designate a single place for it so she will always know where it is. I did that with my keys and haven't lost them since.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

Does she lose/lose these things or just randomly misplace them. It would help her to have a system, places she always puts certain items. She needs to choose those places now for the ring. A special dish by the shower and the kitchen sink would be helpful, especially if those are the two times that she takes them off.

One by the bed if she is uncomfortable sleeping in it.

You could stop by the store tonight on the way home and give her these new gifts to help her keep the ring safe. If she is always just putting it in these dishes when she takes it off then she will stand a better chance of not losing it.

Then she can work on her keys, purse, cell phone. If you always have a special place for such items they are less likely to go missing.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 13, 2009, 12:41 PM

I'm weighing in only to provide another perspective... if for example she takes all of her jewlry off at night to go to bed because she is more comfortable with less restriction and may find herself uncomfortable sleeping, my hope would be that you wouldn't get too demanding about it. I for one take every stitch of jewlry off when I start to unwind for the evening. I have a box next to my bed that I put my everything in and I don't change that routine so as not to ever question where it is. I find myself sometimes in my sleep getting bothered by earrings or rings if they are on and will take them off in the middle of the night if I have forgotten to do so before bed <--- generally wine induced forgetfullness. Then at times things have been known to fall to the ground or get bumped and mixed in the sheets. Allow her to make the decision based on her own comfort.
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Jan 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

I think it depends on the person. I know a couple ladies that don't wear their ring to bed. I wear a watch all the time, but not to bed. I'm not really sure why, it may be some kind of OCD thing, but at night, when I go to my room, I have to have my wallet, my keys, and my watch on my night stand in that order from left to right lol.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 01:02 PM

Ok, just so everybody knows I am not demanding about it at all. Just so people don't think I am a jerk. I am just concerned that she will lose it. I think I will get her something to put them into at night before she goes to bed. I am just way to careful with things. Like SuddenImpact, When I get home, I have to have everything in place. It goes keys to the left, wallet to the right, and phone on top of wallet. Haha. Thanks for all the good ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proposing and I know nothing about rings or engagement. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok me and my girlfriend have been together for two and a half years and I was looking around for an engagement ring. I've bought her a nice promise ring way back and was almost scammed because I knew nothing about the metal or cut or carrot. Now I'm not going to propose right away but I would like...

From engagement rings to break up? My story [ 103 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had been dating for just over 2 years... we had a wonderful relationship for the most part. In January we started to argue a bit- mostly because his partying habits had escalated recently. I mentioned it to him and he said he had been unhappy about fighting too... so much so that...

Canadian laws on returning engagement rings [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend proposed to me. I announced the news to my family and friends. Now he`s calling off the engagement and wants the ring back. I feel it was given to me with a promise that HE is breaking so I don`t really want to give it back. Legaly do I have to? I`m from Ontario, Canada.

Engagement rings [ 10 Answers ]

Does a woman in Virginia have to get back an egagement ring back?

How can I replace worn o rings in a shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I replace worn o rings in a shower faucet? Can anyone explain, please?

View more questions Search