Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1homeowner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Is our radiant heat system heating our domestic water lines?
    We have a radiant heat system installed 2 years ago as part of a remodel of our daylight rambler. The downstairs is heated by radiators, the upstairs by the in floor system. The tubing for the radiant system is clipped to the subfloor of the upstairs in the same interstitial space as the domestic water lines. The only insulation in this space is between the domestic water lines and the basement ceiling drywall. The water temperature from our cold water taps measures up to 92 degrees for up to 10 minutes in the winter when the radiant system is on and up to about 80 degrees in the summer or when the radiant system is off. The domestic water lines are piped with Pex with Wersbo connectors, one of which popped off 2 weeks ago and flooded the basement at which point we had to tear into the ceiling and saw how close the pipes are located to each other.

What is the standard for insulation when radiant systems are run in the same joist space with domestic water lines and is our only option for correcting this problem tearing into all the drywall and insulating the domestic water lines (would fix summer issue) and insulating between the domestic water lines and radiant tubes (to fix winter issue)?

Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
    At this point in time if you want to insulate or make a barrier between the domestic cold water lines and your radiant heat lines you will have to tear out any materials covering them then insulate and replace the covering.

Most if not all companys that install heating pipes (PEX.Copper or others) do not use the same chase or space that is used for the domestic water lines but there is no specific law or rule that says they cannot be combined into one area at least in my area of work. Any interior runs of pipe domestic water require NO insulation and the install of the actual heating system insulation requirements are stated in the installers manual. Usually once again the heating line install is not required to be insulated but is required to be installed with the proper radiant attachments (pan reflectors etc) depending upon the area and type of install being done.

It sounds to me like not much thought was given to this situation during the install and with the line poping off it might not be a good install all the way around. If those joints are made correctly they do not pop off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise when 2 zones of radiant heating system used [ 1 Answers ]

When I start up 2 or more zones of my radiant heating I get a whoo whoo noise over and over. Any suggestions? I have already tried bleeding the air from the system. The system has a newer bladder system expansion tank. It doesn't happen with just one zone, only when a second is activated.

Very old crane radiant heat system [ 1 Answers ]

We just recently bought an older home that has a crane radiant baseboard heat system in it. It works great in all the rooms but 1. We traced the lines and it is the last room on the line for the hot water. Is there some way to adjust the heaters so that the last room stays warm too??

Thermostat for Radiant water heating? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have two wires coming out of my wall, RED and BLACK. I have Wirsbo infloor heating, which is a radiant in floor water heating system. I have attempted to hook up a honeywell programmable thermostat, hooking up RED to Rh and BLACK to the W hookup, I believe. However when I...

Domestic Hot Water Heating Boiler System Rad Valves [ 3 Answers ]

Re hot water boiler heating system,with 3 zone valves,in home.need to know to know about small "automatic"? Vents at ends of rads One was 'leaking']slowly but steadilty.and dripping slowly thro to basement forming small 3 inch mark on floor. 4 years ago these "automatic" valves replaced (from...

Radiant heating and tankless water? [ 6 Answers ]

We are getting ready to bulid a 5000 sq ft home, and I'm getting advice from friends to do floor heating instead of usual blowing air heating, and to install tankless water heaters instead of regular water heaters. What is the difference in cost, and will I save money in the long run by saving on...

View more questions Search