Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koemae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Voltage Drop in Lighting Circuits
    When figuring the voltage drop in a branch circuit with multible light fixtures.

I can size my load (11.5 amp) & voltage drop (2.14%) to the first fixture based on a 277v (271.08v) circuit with the total length (130') of the circuit.

When I proceed on to the next fixture how is that handled?

Do I need to reduce the 277-volts to the next fixture based on the calculations in my homerun back to the panel ( 271.08) and keep reducing the voltage based on each calculation until I reach the end of the circuit?
    Or is it to remain 277v through-out the calculation and I just add each voltage drop % to the home run calculation (2.14%) to get my total voltage drop % to the end of the circuit.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 7, 2009, 04:40 AM
    Please explain your precise problem once more.
    Of course the voltage drop increases towards the common feeding point, as there the current is greater.
    If you keep within 5 % of the supply voltage, that is never considered a problem.
    If you need a detailed solution, you should provide detailed information, i.e. a wiring diagram with all lights involved, quantities, power consumption, cable diameters used, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

If i have a 3 phase motor running in 440volts and drives the cetrifugal fan, then the voltage drops to 20 percent, what happened to running current does it increas or decrease.

Voltage drop in site lighting circuits [ 3 Answers ]

How do you calculate the voltage drop for each fixture in a site lighting circuit?

Voltage Drop [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to illuminate a tunnel about 3000' long temporarily with 9- 400 Watt Metal Halide fixtures spaced about 320' apart. I have a 120/240 generator single phase that I will use to back feed a 240/480 volt transformer to deliver 480 volts, single phase to the tunnel lights. At 480 volts I...

Voltage drop [ 1 Answers ]

The Voltage will drop after 150 meter wire ,how to sole the problem . Thanks to all

Voltage Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp breaker;there are a total of 7 receptacles on this circuit with a 15 amp GFI on the first receptacle. The first 5 receptacles in line work fine, the last two receptacles which are approximately 70 feet from the 5th receptacle flip the 15 amp GFI off when plugging in a drill. I...

View more questions Search