Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 11:14 PM
    Water softener sanitization
    I have an opportunity to get a culligan mark 10 water softener from a friend.

It has not been in use for a couple of years and has standing water present in both the brine tank and the resin chamber.

I know I can get the brine tank cleaned and sanitized. The concern I have is the resin chamber.

The install manual for this make says you can use bleach in the brine chamber and then manually recharge. Easy enough to do.

I'm looking for expert advice here, not speculation, to back this up. I know bleach will disinfect... im just nervous about it doing a good enough job before I hook this up to my supply line. I suppose I could simply waste some water and some salt by doing a couple of sanitization recharges and then flushing one last time without chlorine to get rid of any excess...

Thoughts from the pros?
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 27, 2006, 03:12 PM
    It's always good to ask for pro advice. I'm not an expert ( I know you asked for one :( ) but if the manual for that model says this is an acceptable method then I would do it-would be relatively inexpensive too. I ran bleach through my softener with good results, though it wasn't sitting around for two years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water Softener for whole house [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, The plumbing set up in my house does not have a loop for a softener. So from what I have been told I would have to have softened water running throughout my house, kitchen included. (unless I spend a fortune to get plumbing redone) Is this a bad idea? Can anyone give me any advice...

Dirty Water Softener [ 2 Answers ]

Whoever installed the water softener in my house (done with the previous owner) obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen because they installed the sediment filter AFTER the water softener (I'm on a dug well with quite a bit of sediment coming through the pipes). Needless to say my water...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

View more questions Search