Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 18, 2009, 01:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    Did you use wire nuts or what kind of connector? Not completely following
    The romex connector that you screw into a jbox. It clamps down on the wire to hold it in place. (has two screws on both sides)

I overtightned one and it clamped down into the wire itself and shorted it out.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 18, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    My only painful problem was on the exterior walls, there was this gray loose insulation. Not like what they make now. I don't think it was asbestos, but I do know that it had tiny little metal splinters all up in it and I got quite a number of those in my hands.
    You should wear a P100 filter with a mask if you think asbestos might be present. I got one for like $15 and sometimes use it just for drywall even though it is overkill. Not that asbestos was there just a suggestion.

BTW, anyone getting snow right now? It is coming down hard here.

Jan 18, 2009, 01:23 AM
    The romex connector that you screw into a jbox. It clamps down on the wire to hold it in place. (has two screws on both sides)

I overtightned one and it clamped down into the wire itself and shorted it out.
    Oh I see, yeah that could happen. I usually use the black plastic push in kind. They let the wire come in the box but prevent it from being pulled out. Has its ups and downs.

Jan 18, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Not snowing here but it's pretty cold and windy.

Gheeze it's going on 4AM, my wife is going to be pissed when I crawl into bed this late!

I'd better sign off. But it's been good conversation tonight though. I'm sure our comments will cross paths again.

I too am curious as to what the mods do with this thread when they wake up tomorrow, if anything at all.

Talk to you later!

Jan 18, 2009, 01:32 AM

Good night... I feel the same way, about the wife that is.
    cetanagi Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    There is no need to shut off the main when installing a new breaker/circuit if you know what you are doing that is. In my line of work, working with live voltages is part of the job. You either learn to respect it or you get got.
    That is part of the issue here. He is NOT a professional, so either get a professional or shut it off before installing. I too am experienced with electricity and no I have never shut the main off for anything. I have also witnessed professionals take some serious shots and cause equipment damage. There is no need to put a homeowner at that risk!

Jan 18, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cetanagi View Post
    That is part of the issue here. He is NOT a professional, so either get a professional or shut it off before installing. I too am experienced with electricity and no I have never shut the main off for anything. I have also witnessed professionals take some serious shots and cause equipment damage. There is no need to put a homeowner at that risk!
    Who is not a professional me? I thought I made that clear.

Jan 18, 2009, 08:14 PM
    I think they are referring to the original poster.

Anyway, we all reached the general consensus last night that it is better to throw the main before starting to work in a breaker panel.

Jan 18, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Anyway, we all reached the general consensus last night that it is better to throw the main before starting to work in a breaker panel.
    We did? Not sure about that...

We should start a thread for electrical chat or something like that to have these general discussions. Right now I am doing my Advanced Accounting homework TTYL.

Jan 18, 2009, 08:17 PM
    However some breaker panels do not have an outside disconnect. Mine is like this, so even if I throw the main at the top of the panel, care must still be excersized as there are still two lugs at the top which remain hot.

Jan 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    We did? Not sure about that...

We should start a thread for electrical chat or something like that to have these general discussions. Right now I am doing my Advanced Accounting homework TTYL.
    I think so... nobody said it was a bad idea not to throw the main. And I don't think anyone argued the safety aspects of it. It was only stated that it can be done with the box hot. Even it it's not such a good idea.

Working on a hot box is dangerous, but so is working on a load bearing wall, on a three story 12/12 roof, even running a power tool. It's just a matter of respecting the equipment.

And yes, I'll agree that the best way to respect a breaker panel is to kill the power to it.

I also agree with the general chitchat thread. In fact, it would be said that one is already started. Feel free to use the "New Fluke" thread that I started about a week ago. It was just an ordinary general purpose electrical conversation.

Has some good grounding facts in there too. I may have fallen a few pages back though.

Study hard, tax time is just a few weeks away!

Jan 18, 2009, 08:34 PM

Its not tax stuff, I have programs for that BS.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 22, 2009, 07:12 AM

I have been doing this stuff for over 30 years and I ALWAYS kill the main to replace a breaker. It is just the safest way to do it.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    I have been doing this stuff for over 30 years and I ALWAYS kill the main to replace a breaker. It is just the safest way to do it.
    If you have the luxury to kill the main then great but in my line of work I simply cannot kill the power to an entire restaurant or even a section just to put in a breaker. It's just not possible.

Jan 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
    If you have the luxury to kill the main then great but in my line of work I simply cannot kill the power to an entire restaurant or even a section just to put in a breaker. It's just not possible.

Not only that, but those restaurant service panels have those screw in type breakers that require you remove an energized screw from the bus bar before you can remove the breaker.

I have only had to do so once, and it was under the supervision of the company electrician where I work. When I'm out by myself, I won't change one of these type breakers because I don't have the tools for it.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 04:41 AM
    When you are a professional in a specific trade you do what you is best for you, your company and your customer. If this means replacing a breaker in a live panel that is what you do. I rarely need to shat down a whole panel to simply install a breaker.
    I have the knowledge, experience and protection to do a job correctly and safely.

When you are doing several different trade's work you need every bit of protection you can get to help do a job safely.

Jan 23, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Irrigardless for the sake of those on the board who do not dabble in this stuff daily, especially for those who have never taken the cover off a service panel, it's best to throw the main.

Necessary? No, but working on it live presents risk that are not present when working on it dead.

Do I swap breakers with the main on? Yes. But I do so at my own risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Converting a gas furnace to electric [ 1 Answers ]

How do I convert a gas furnace( coleman) to electric ?

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and plan on installing a Solar Electrical Power system in my new home. Although I understand the Gas Heat is more efficient, if I will generating my own electrical power, I would want to consider converting my Gas heat to Electric to save on the increasing price of my Gas...

Converting an electrical outlet to be on all the time [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outlet in my bedroom that is controlled by a wall switch. I have been told that by rewiring the outlet you can make it "hot" all the time. How do I do that?

View more questions Search