Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bebee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 05:49 AM
    Salary hours reduction
    My husband has been on salary since employed at this company. He was always paid the same amount every week no matter how many hours of overtime he put in. Recently, because of the economy, the company cut back all employees to 36 hours per week. The hourly employees are now getting only 36 hours, but the employer also cut back the salaried to 36 hours of pay. They did not adjust the "hourly" pay lower, they just set the new salary to equal 36 hours. The company did not tell any of the salaried employees, they found out when they received their pay checks. Is this legal, to cut their hours, even if they were on salary?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bebee View Post
    My husband has been on salary since employed at this company. He was alwasy paid the same amount every week no matter how many hours of overtime he put in. Recently, because of the economy, the company cut back all employees to 36 hours per week. The hourly employees are now getting only 36 hours, but the employer also cut back the salaried to 36 hours of pay. They did not adjust the "hourly" pay lower, they just set the new salary to equal 36 hours. The company did not tell any of the salaried employees, they found out when they received their pay checks. Is this legal, to cut their hours, even if they were on salary?

If there is no union or employment contract, yes.

Is your husband employed in retail by a large "big box" store? Similar question on one of the other boards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary hours vs hourly employee [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the hours that a salary employee works? Hourly is from 8-9 and salary is 40 hours (does not matter what time frame)?

Salary and hours [ 1 Answers ]

If an employee works consistently over 9-10 hours per day, is there a low stating the employee should be compensated?

CRNA salary and job hours [ 1 Answers ]

I am a CCU nurse currently and am thinking of becoming a CRNA. I'm wondering if anyone has any information of the day to day job and what you can expect as a starting salary? Thanks.

Salary v.s. Hours worked [ 2 Answers ]

If you work for a company making 35K salary, are there any limits to the amount of hours that you can be demanded to work? In specific, this company is requiring me to work 11-16 hours a day and possibly working weekends as well. There is no compensation for over-time as the pay is set at a...

Pto hours and salary [ 3 Answers ]

I was told if you are on salary and you work mor than four hours a day, that if you leave early that day that they should not deduct it from your pto hours or your check. Is that true?

View more questions Search