Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 02:55 PM

Rice is my staple food. I eat it 3x a day. Before boiling the rice, I measure the water by dipping my hand and see if it reaches the middle of the second lines of my fingers. Result will depend on the length of harvest and type of rice. If the rice is newly harvest, that measurement of water I said, rice will come out mushy.
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Apr 29, 2009, 04:05 PM

I just put one and a half cup for every cup and it usually comes out fine. Lol yeah I eat a lot of it too
    just esther Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 11:32 AM

For the best rice (doesn't work the same for brown or yellow rice).. put 3 cups of water in a bowl and cover it (I use a glass bowl and saran wrap with hole poked in it) and microwave it on high for about 4 min. then add 1.5 cups of rice then salt, stir it and cook it for 14.5 minutes on power level 7. actually if you use a little less water it will turn out better. The recipe is usually a 2:1, water and rice
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
    I cook mine a little less than suggested, and DON'T STIR IT during simmering
    solamente Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2009, 06:10 AM

If cooking on the stovetop, the ratio of 1 cup rice to two cups of water ensures a perfect batch every time (Double or triple using the same ratio, i.e. 2 cups rice, 4 cups water, etc.). Add rice, water, salt; stir, and cover the pot tightly. Cook on low to medium until all the water is absorbed, you can check once or twice to see, but replace lid quickly so water can be absorbed into the rice.

Once you learn how your stove heats, you will be able to time how long it takes to cook your rice. I usually start mine on medium to get the water boiling, and drop the temperature to very low to finish, it takes approximately 15 minutes or so and my rice is always fluffy and soft.

I would not recommend rinsing beforehand, particularly long grain white rice, as you will lose more nutrients that way.
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

May 19, 2009, 11:50 PM
    Really but isn't it to clean the rice?
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 03:15 AM

When washing (white) rice all you are really washing away is dirt and starch, which is pretty much the same as table sugars (but larger compounds with more hydrogens and oxygens and carbons). I don't need to spiel about how the body deals with carbohydrates. You might be interested to note too that glucose, starch or talc (often associated with stomach cancer) is in many cases added to the rice to make it more attractive. The process of milling then bleaching it in the first place removes most of the nutrients. Furthermore, white rice is full of starch anyway, so if you're worried about washing starch and nutrients away, don't be. (Even if you had brown, black or red rices, the nutrients won't be washed away with a rinse, you'll have to soak or cook it to death to do that).

However, washing away the excess starch at the start reduces the chances that you end up with rice which is, well, uh, starchy. So I would generally give it a good wash in case there are any stray bits of moth and dust and insects which have found their way in there. (I eat a lot of the stuff so I keep it in a large bucket, I wash it twice, if you buy it in little bags each time, once should suffice). As a matter of taste, I don't feel the need to add salt either, it doesn't help cooking, its just for taste.

So in short MarMar27, if I am right, yes.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 20, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarMar27 View Post
    really but isnt it to clean the rice?
    As qnman said, some wash the rice to reduce "excess" starch that can cause sticking... and I'm sure some wash to "clean" any foreign objects as mentioned...

But many manufacturers of rice add nutrients (as many have been stripped in processing) that can supposedly be removed by prewashing.

For ex, on one bag of rice I own it says "to retain vitamins, do not rinse before or drain after cooking"...

The added nutrients include iron phosphate, thiamine (a vitamin B), folic acid (can be called folate also, depending on its form)... these are commonly added to processed grains... like white flour... usually you buy it "enriched" with all the above.

The truth is if you are taking a good multivitamin, like most people should, rinsing isn't an issue... and many of the enriched nutrients can be had by balanced, good nutrition or/and use of a good multivitamin.

Rice Types- How to prepare Rice
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jun 2, 2009, 10:59 PM

Try it in the mirco. I rinse it first a couple of
    Times, add salt and butter. Make sure the bowl is big enough so it won't boil over and cover. Staret with 10 minutes and check if it needs more try 5 minutes at a time usually 10 minutes are enough. I have forgot about it and it sat for a while and it turned out even better. So it's not that touchy. I did white and brown both work fine. Try it. Good Luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 02:03 AM

Hi, All!

I'm truly amazed at all of these ideas for the cooking and preparation of rice!

Thanks!
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jun 3, 2009, 08:46 PM

Trymaking it in the mirco. Make sure the bowl is big enough for it doesn't boil over. Start with 10 minutes and check,then try 5 minutes at a time, let it rest. There were times I forgot about it and it still came out fine. Try it. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sella rice [ 6 Answers ]

What is sella basmati rice and parboiled basmati rice

Why does White Rice Cost Less than Brown Rice? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Everyone, I have been consuming brown rice for years, but today, while discussing the differences between brown rice and white rice with my girlfriend, she asked me why white rice would cost less if it requires so much more energy to process it (by process, I mean milling it, polishing it,...

Rice Cooker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a National Rice Cooker Model SR-GE18N, Last week , the displace show (H3),and all function stop, seems have some code to lock all functon, I worder any body have the same problem or any solution. Thanks

Rice & Beans [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am looking for a recipe for rice & beans (red beans). Also what kind of rice (long grain, med grain, etc) Anyone out there have a good one. Thanks in advance

Stan rice [ 1 Answers ]

I'm searching for a list of all poetry of Stan Rice. I read some of his work and I want to read more but I can't find many of his older works. Can anyone provide me suchs a list or does anybody know where to find one? Carnelain

View more questions Search