Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 12, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Wiring Outlets - Backwire vs Sidewire
    The GFCI outlet I installed the other day could be both backwired or sidewired. Just curious on what your opinions are on which is better or the pro’s and con's of each?

Thanks - John
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 12, 2009, 09:17 PM

My own opinion, back wire is easier to install the wiring but harder to remove it plus if you are using THHN it might be kind of difficult. Solid core, no problem. I just don't care for solid core.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 09:54 PM

Side wiring is preferred. In a daisy chain of multiple outlets, it's preferred to wire nut the incoming and outgoing wires and pigtail to the outlet. Therefore if the outlet goes bad, the fault is contained to one outlet.

The backstabbed connections just have too many problems with contact resistance, especially when recepticles are backstabbed in a daisy chain. Each one contributes to the resistance of the wire and each one can be a failure for all of the outlets downstream of the fault.

Jan 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Side wiring is preferred. In a daisy chain of multiple outlets, it's preferred to wire nut the incoming and outgoing wires and pigtail to the outlet. Therefore if the outlet goes bad, the fault is contained to one outlet.
    Very true, but what if you are installing a GFCI and you want all the downstream outlets to be GFCI protected. Your not going to pigtail so is it still better to sidewire?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 10:11 PM

It's still better to side wire although not as critical. As you know, it's a lot more work to do it correctly. Besides getting the backstabbed wires out when it's time for replacement can be difficult.

Jan 12, 2009, 10:32 PM

Yes carefully bending the wire with needle nose pliers 2/3 of the way around the nut clockwise so the nut tightens it is much more difficult and time consuming then just stripping the wire and sticking it in the back and screwing it in real tight.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 05:06 AM
    We are talking about backwiring, NOT backstabbing.

Backstabbing is evil and WILL cause problems down the road. This is where the wire is just stuck in the hole in the back of a device and a spring holds it in place. This method is only legal or safe with solid wire and CANNOT be done with #12 wire and 20A circuits.

Backwiring is where a screw clamp holds the wire and is a perfectly acceptable and sound method. It is used on commercial devices all the time.

For GFIs or other "spec grade" devices just use the back wire holes and don't even give it a second thought.
    For regular devices use the side screws. :cool:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2009, 06:03 AM

The problem I see with back wiring GFI's with solid wire is the holding in place as you put into box, the wire can twist even when clamped tight.
    I use Stranded and it is a pain to get all the strands in that little hole.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 13, 2009, 09:27 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but if you have a GFCI outlet then wouldn't any outlet downstream that is wired in series be protected?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 04:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but if you have a GFCI outlet then wouldn't any outlet downstream that is wired in series be protected?
    Only if it is wired that way. They don't have to be.
    goaster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 05:11 AM

Where is your location codyman144? Have you tried consulting an electrician for that?

Jan 14, 2009, 07:32 AM

I know how to install an outlet I don't need an electrician for that. I was just curious what others opinions were. And if you read more of my posts you will see I am in Syracuse NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 220 outlets to a sub panel [ 1 Answers ]

When wiring a 3 conductor 220 outlet to a sub panel, when does the third conductor go to the ground bus and when does the third conductor go to the neutral bus? Also, does the third conductor have to be the same gauge wire as the two feeder wires? Thanks!!

Backwire receptacles [ 9 Answers ]

Anybody know if it's possible to get electrical receptacles for a 20 amp circuit that are backwired to accept 20 gauge wire? All I ever see is 15 amp size. They are so simple and quick. I want to add a new line and outlets in the kitchen so we can use the coffeemaker, microwave and toaster all at...

Wiring Outlets to GFCI [ 13 Answers ]

I need to run 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC outlets. I already have a 50 amp GFCI. How can I safely run 2, 20 amp receptacles off this breaker? One option is to buy 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC, GFCI's. Not really what I want to do. These things are expensive, Another option is to wire 2, 50 amp receptacles, but...

Refreshing old wiring and outlets [ 1 Answers ]

A lot of the outlets in my house are non-polarized two-prong types. I'd like to replace them with polarized grounded outlets. I'd rather not just install a GFI outlet, as that kind of limits me. I can easily get at the cabling, and the outlets in question are run with two-conductor armored BX...

Wiring outlets, and grounding [ 4 Answers ]

I just read where one of you told someone, the black wire goes on the screw with the longer opening and white opposite, Ie, Then I saw this following statement from an electrician All white wires are connected to the side with a silvery color and the black wires to the brassy terminals. ...

View more questions Search