Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCH2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 05:42 PM
    General instructions on découpage
    Hello, I have been wondering what all goes into découpage . I've been looking at pieces that someone has done and I would like to do one.
    Thanks
    pjd189 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 05:19 PM

I realize this was posted quite awhile back but I 'just tuned in'. Découpage is really a simple, elegant, vintage craft. It works best on a wood base (i.e. non-painted wooden tray, etc.), lightly sand the tray with fine sandpaper. Decide which pictures (i.e. photos, magazine pics, greeting cards, what strikes you.) You can either trim with scissors or tear, tear and lightly burn, let your imagination go wild! Use symmetry or not, mix colors, flowers with animals, there is no limit nor rules! I use that 'real expensive' dollar store white glue ($1.00 per bottle and at the beginning of school time, you can get Elmers and others at 2/$1.00 (you may want to stock up!) After sanding the tray, use a tack cloth to get all of the dust particles off. Coat the back of a cut out design, not too heavily) and place in desired spot and roll the glued piece with a wooden roller (you can get them in any craft shop), to remove any/all air bubbles. If you have a persistent bubble, use a fine point straight pin to puncture with a tiny hole then press the air out. Continue until you have reached the look you want. You can overlap the pieces or not, your choice! Allow the tray to dry for 24 to 48 hours ( Must be completely dry!) Next, apply at least 3 coats of the same white glue over the entire area, not just the pics, letting the tray completely dry between coats. To finish, completely cover with a nice polymer finish OR an inexpensive CLEAR spray paint (in the can). Put as many coats as needed to get the look you like! Oh! Almost forgot! You CAN paint the wooden item prior to decoupaging if you like. If working with a paper mache' or cardboard piece, do not sand, if you want the piece painted, use water-based acrylics.
    Hope this helps and hope you are still interested as decoupaging is fun and has no limitations except your imagination. Almost anything can be decoupaged!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring from General Journal to the General Ledger [ 1 Answers ]

When transferring from the General Journal to the General Ledger which cash items do you transfer .:confused:

General Petraeus or General Betray Us? [ 37 Answers ]

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1242/1356147370_95b0e2cea6_o.jpg This MoveOn.org ad states, "Every independent report on the ground situation in Iraq shows that the surge strategy has failed." That is a bald-faced lie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MoveOn at the forefront of the "Bush...

The reversing entry in the general journal and posting it to the general ledger [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I need to know How I can post reversing etry in to the general ledger ? For example if I have The business last paid a water bill in May, which was for 3 months of water expense up to the end of April. The additional accrual entry for water expense for the last two months is $2,290. And I...

General Ledger versus General Journal [ 1 Answers ]

Does the number of entries in the general journal equal the number of entries in the general ledger. Why?

View more questions Search