Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanDare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Stone Chimney
    I have 2 stone block chimneys that have a few pieces that have fallen off, otherwise they seem to be in OK shape (from 1959). My question is - are you supposed to apply a waterproofer to the exterior of the chimney from time to time? Or is that not something that is typically done or recommended?

Thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    2 stone block chimneys
    Is this an actual real stone veneered chimney?
    Yes you should check all stone pointing around that chimney and look for hair line cracks. Over time they develop and its not easy to see. If this is a stone veneered chimney and not a solid one it's a natural form of siding I'm a mason/stone mason and I have a hard time convincing customers the importance of sealing a masonry wall as it gets older. Every body think oh its stone or brick. Well mother earth beats on that and where does our dirt come from besides decay of plant and animal, ROCKS and sea .
    Check the rest of the chimney and you may be very surprised what the mortar joints look light right where it tolled against the stone. Now If need more repair and more stone relayed Find a mason and a good one. If he has to ripp some of it down here's the approach that's needs done.

Take many close pictures of how the stone is laid. Just one stone off in a couple of feet of chimney will mess up the whole job. Its not easy to get natural stone to match. Here is the other important part. When the stone is laid and he goes to strike/tool it if that is done to early on the mortar joint being to wet the lime will come to the surface and bleach it more and won't match the old mortar to well
    And yes seal the chimney after 30 days of repair or next spring

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    DanDare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the great information. I will seal it this spring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Footingless chimney [ 1 Answers ]

My current chimney is cement block and it is pulling away from the house because the footing is sinking. I live on a lake and the ground is always wet. My brother in law told me about a chimney made of insulated metal and is attached to the house and does not require a footing. It could also be...

Chimney Cap [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the quality of a universal chimney cap? It is more economical than our other choices but we have been told they are no good. The only problem is the person telling us they are no good is trying to sell us either a black one for $60.00 Can which apparently isn't great or a...

Chimney Insert [ 2 Answers ]

I had to replace my Hot Water Heater and chose a unit that was a bit larger than the old unit. Because there was a difference in height between the old and new, I had to "punch" a new hole into my chimney for the exhaust. The old set-up had my furnace exhaust and water heater exhaust connected to a...

Rain down my Chimney [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that has an older model gas furnace with a brick chimney and when it rains I get water coming out of my vent pipe in my basement just before it attaches to the furnace. I do not have a cap on my chimney and was wondering if I should install one and if so what king should I buy? On...

View more questions Search