Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 11:25 AM

Our resident library homeless guy just turned 70 and finally admitted he can't live on the street any longer. He applied for SS. That plus Medicare/Medicaid allows him to live on the independent floor of a nursing home where he is safe, has a clean bed, can take a shower every day, and can do his laundry. He's happier than a hog in heaven.

My widowed aunt-in-law lives in assisted living, can no longer live in her own or anyone's home because of serious medical issues (we kept her in her home as long as we could), doesn't want to mingle with other residents but shuts herself up in her room and claims no one talks to her. Nieces and nephews take turns visiting throughout the week, yet the aunt says no one in the family ever comes to see her. (She's now being treated for depression and early-stage dementia.)

I think most families explore all the possibilities -- keeping a loved one at home as long as possible, but because of health and mobility problems, must finally resort to finding an assisted care facility or a nursing home.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 11:36 AM

Not all residential homes are wheel chair accessible and affordability of having the home renovated for wheelchairs is beyond most people's means nowadays.
    spoilsport Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Another opinion:
    Living away from home is hard enough , family not wanting to vist is also harder.. no amount of comforts can be enough if she misses her family. If have decided on keeping her there, you can send some thoughtful things or keep sending her some thoughtful things so she feels she is loved..
    She might really be missing you all and want to be there with you.. who wouldn't? They do get cranky and needy but its just the feeling of not being loved that might get reflected in so many ways.. and that is entierly their mindset no one can change that.

I may not be practicle here bit I find it very hard to thik of old people sent to an old age home (inspite of all comforts)... would rather consider having them home , and also employing someone who will stay with them and take care of the little chores and try to have my life too..
    They will complain and be needy but still it feels a lot good inside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop being so needy? [ 18 Answers ]

I'm justa about to turn 18. I have a boyfriend and we've been together for nearly 2 years. I love him dearly and he loves me. The problem is, I constantly feel insecure about it, and I feel that he doesn't love me and he only says that he does because he doesn't want to upset me. Recently he...

I came across as being needy to my girlfriend. [ 6 Answers ]

This is really bothering me I'll try and make it as short as possible. I (26) met my Ex (23)last July and we saw each other for a couple months then started dating in Sept. Her and I really connected on every level. We could do everything together or hang out separately it didn't matter. ...

Needy puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 7month old cocker and he is a handful. I can get him to sit and laydown, but the thing that I'm having trouble with is that ( I beleve this is how you say it) he has dependince on me. He follows me to everyroom, when I put him the his cage and I leave the room he brakes and wines till I...

Being needy [ 6 Answers ]

Just looking for opiniions here.. What makes a person seem needy in a relationship? Is it the need for time, telephone calls, etc.. I know people have different takes, but I just wouild like to hear some of them... thanks!

Getting past being to needy [ 1 Answers ]

I have finally realized that my past has made me VERY needy of my husband for emotional stability. When he is not home, I then need approval and affection from my male friend. What can I do to not be so needy?

View more questions Search