Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    penguinsinsnow1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 02:21 PM
    I can't open .tmp files!
    I saved a very important school project on my flash drive, but when I went to open it later, it said that it was saved as a .tmp file and I couldn't open it. Any suggestions?:confused:

Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 02:39 PM

What are you trying to open it with? A .tmp file is generally a backup (or temporary file) created by Microsoft word (and other programs) but not intended to be opened directly. I don't know how you saved only the .tmp file and not the regular file it is associated with (like a word document) normally you would not even see these .tmp files since they are for use by the program only.

Word might be able to open it, or maybe notepad, but it will look all messed up because it's a file that the system uses, you should still be able to copy out all the text.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 10:57 PM

Look on your computer for another copy, wherever you normally save documents. You might get lucky. Open the same program on the same computer that you used to create the document and check the Recent Documents listing, maybe it's there somewhere you don't suspect.

TIP OF THE DAY: Never, EVER, NEVER work on documents on a removable drive directly, if you can avoid it.

Always copy the document to the local drive, do your work, save it on the local computer, then copy it back to your thumb drive.

When creating a document for the first time, Always save it to the local computer first. Make sure the file is there and readable. Can you close and reopen it? Best to try this when you are only 5 minutes into creating the document. If you can type a few paragraphs, save it with a new file name, close it and open it again, it should then be safe to continue working on the doc.

Copy to the removable drive and try to open it again from the drive. Only after you've verified the copy will open should you consider deleting the one on the main computer.
    ccorato Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Don't save it on a bad memory stick. Save it on your hard drive as you worke Dummy! How did movie maker work for you!
    prats7575 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Ya, you have 1 option. Such .TMP files always have weird names like if you had file wit name as abc.ppt so it might have abc.ppt~RFd20d7b.TMP. You can change such file to your original just by renaming it to your original name i.e abc.ppt here. I am sure it will work :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't open files [ 1 Answers ]

Hey... while ago I had a problem with my computer so I installed windows again, then my computer used to work normal like a new computer.. but then again I had this problem that none of the mouse, drivers and etc worked so I installed windows again now everything works excpet I can't open any...

How to open Files [ 3 Answers ]

How do I open a .dat file in Windows Vista?

How to open .mpp files? [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me the step by step procedure for how to open the .mpp files

Open .that files with [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I can't open a .dat file, where could I get a free download programe? Thanks for help.

View more questions Search