Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kev1979 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Problem installing win XP home on new machine
    I have just built a new machine MSI MOBO, AMD sempron 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, the MOBO has onboard GFX and it has a SATA HDD.

The initial boot is fine, I get the blue screen when win xp starts to install.

When I get to the press f6 if you want to install 3rd party drivers (which I want to do) the install process stops (whether I hit f6 or not).

Any ideas what may be causing this, I have checked all connections, I am thinking maybe faulty ram, but have not been able to swap it out yet.

Any ideas gratefully received
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Try setting (in the BIOS) non-turbo mode. I've experienced this with SATA drive installs where some motherboards come slightly overclocked. e.g. ABIT motherboards (Fatal1ty) come slightly overclocked and that was enough for Windows XP installs to lockup/fail. Deliberately underclocking the machine for whatever reason Microsoft couldn't explain to me got the install process to proceed. Once the install was complete and all drivers necessary for the new motherboard were installed then setting the overclocking back to default (or even overclocking some more) usually worked OK.

The other possibility is that your floppy may not be recognized (F6 process). Check the floppy on another machine and make sure that your floppy is properly configured in the new MOBO.

Good luck

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PHP Connection Problem with ODBC After Moving out from Local Machine [ 7 Answers ]

In the following, Section 1 was my original code. The php code connected with an Access file was running Apache server in my local machine, and they did work fine. However, after moving the php and Access file to a web server, and changed $db='W:\\EmpRosterDev\\UserDB.mdb'; in the php, it gets...

Problem installing win XP home on new machine [ 2 Answers ]

I put this in the OS section, hoping I will get more responses here: I have just built a new machine MSI MOBO, AMD sempron 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, the MOBO has onboard GFX and it has a SATA HDD. The initial boot is fine, I get the blue screen when win xp starts to install. When I get to the...

Problem installing Office 2003 SP2 [ 6 Answers ]

When I check the system properties on my computer (Dell Dimension 4600 w/Windows XP) it says Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 2 but when I try to download upgrades from Microsoft, I get a message that says "Office 2003 Security Pack 2 not installed". I've tried to download it several times but get...

Wahing Machine drain problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hey folks, First time homeowner overwhelmed by his plumbing. My washing machine drain keeps backing up during the spin cycle. I had rotorooter come out to look for clogs, but they said there was no blockage, only a faulty installation of the drainage which does not allow the pump to filter...

Problem Installing Office 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently re-installed Win 98 (ancient - I know!) and I have no Office software installed. I then went to install office 2000 and the autorun brings up the Windows Installer screen with the message "Preparing to install". It then disappears and nothing else happens. Can anybody help me with...

View more questions Search