Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jilllovell Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Mini Doxie
    I have a mini Doxie who will be 11 months old shortly. She is just finishing up her first heat which has been 3 weeks. Her nipples are still swoolen and her bottom as well, but not nearly as much. The blood is gone. I've been told that when they go "clear" that is when they are fertile. How much longer do I need to wait after the "clear" before she can play with her friends? Will her nipples go back to normal?
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 27, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Dogs enter estrus (fertile point of heat) at about 7-10 days. Every dog is different though it could be shorter or longer. Estrus usually lasts anywhere from 4-20 days. After Estrus diestrus (ending phase of heat cycle) begins which she will be less likely to breed and can last for 14 days. If it has been 3 weeks and she is young her cycle is probably close to ending. If she shows any sign of kicking her tail to the side around a male (you can do this yourself by slightly touching her rear end it's very obvious when they do it) or if she backs into a male showing she is interested in breeding,I wouldn't take the chance of an intact male around her. I'd give it at least another week just to be on the safe side seeing as how I said a young puppy's cycle is unstable. Keep in mind a male can show interest up until 2-3 weeks after diestrus, even though the female will have nothing to do w/ the male and will be infertile. Oops missed the teat question... they will go down but will never be exactly the same size as her puppy nipples, they will be just a tad bigger.
    jilllovell Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Thank you so much!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini dauschund [ 5 Answers ]

My mini dauschund has just started constantly licking and more so scratching herself all the time. She never used to do this and now she's doing it so much she's starting to scratch herself bald in spots. How can I make her feel better so she stops? Please help.

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

Mini doxy [ 3 Answers ]

I have a mini doxy, I work and have to leave her in a crate she cries and of course it makes me sad she just turned 7 weeks old 3/13 she sleeps with my husband and I she wakes up 1 or 2 times a night to potty we have a potty pad near, my question is how old until she can make it through a night...

Help mini to adjust [ 1 Answers ]

Mini is a 4yr old chihuahua,I have had here since she was 5 weeks.Mike is 9 weeks and got him 2 days ago.Mini avoids Mike and he just runs to her wanting to play and she wants no part of him.What can I do to help Mini adjust?

How old is to old? Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old mini dashound. We are looking at possibly breeding her. How old is to old? Also she is a pure bread dog and the stud we are looking at is a dapple(? ) are they OK to breed together? Thank you

View more questions Search