Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Light switch problem
    This site has been such a great help I though I would ask you a question about an electrical problem we are having. I have a home that is 2 years old and noticed from day one that we had some light switches that would arc slight when they were turned on. It turned out that the were wired using the back stabbed method and that seemed to be the problem, but a couple of switches still make a slight popping noise. All the wires are tight at both the switch and the breaker. I notcied that some of the wires actually had paint on them. It looks like the painters were careless when painting the walls and go some on the wires. Do you think that this might be causing the slight arcing? Also, is this a potential fire hazard? The switch never gets hot or warm to the touch.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 03:55 PM
    The arcing is most likely the switch itself. AC snap switches are made to open and close (make & break) quickly to separate the contacts quickly and eliminate the inevitable arcing. As switches get older, the spring weakens and the contacts get pitted, which causes the arcing you hear.

The paint on the wires is not any cause of any problem, unless the paint contains corrosive solvents, which I doubt.

This is not an immediate problem or hazard, but the arcing will get worse and the switch will eventually fail. Time to change the switches with new one, Try to use the screw terminals and not use the "Quik-Wire" or stab in the back. These connections are popular causes of loose connections.
    WadeF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2006, 07:13 PM
    I have this problem myself. I have heard one of my light switches doing this so I figured it was time to swap it out. However, my wife was concerned this evening when she heard it pop and she said it smelled. I went up and smelled the switch and I could smell a burning smell. I flipped it a couple times and it popped some and I could smell the burning smell again. Then my throat/lungs got irritated. Now I'm thinking I inhaled some kind of metal vapor from the arcing. Should I be concerned about the exposure I had to whatever was in the air that may have caused irritation?
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Just to let everyone know I had an electrician come out yesterday to take a look at the switches. He couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring and said the switch was burning from the inside due to it being a poor quality switch or a loose connection. The only thing that irritated me was that he replaced the current switches using the back stabbed connections. It makes me feel better to know the wiring was OK, but you would think a quality electrician would use the screws for the connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch capacity [ 8 Answers ]

I recently installed 5 recessed lighting fixtures on the same circuit and all these lights turned off at one time after a few minutes. They did not trip the circuit breaker. I then turned the light switch off for a few minutes and then the lights could be turned on for a few minutes. The light...

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

Wiring a light switch [ 2 Answers ]

The light currently just has a pull cord and I want a simple wall switch instead. The power runs to the light from the other side of the room. Do I just need to run a wire from the switch to the light and tie it in or have the power come to the switch first and then to the light? How does it tie...

View more questions Search