Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feefer72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Rental Property undisclosed crime
    I am trying to find out how I would go about researching if a crime was committed in the house I am renting. I was made to sign a disclosure indicating that should I find out that a crime was committed in the property, that I would not be able to break my lease. No answers were given, and I have not been able to locate anything via Google for the address, but I have found hints in the house that a massive crime was committed. A spray of tiny brown dots across the wall (in a spare room) that seem very strange, and other brown drops, and smudges in the same room that were never covered. Looks like blood, but the amounts seem indicative of a murder.

Any advise in researching this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Feefer:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 10:19 AM

If inidcations of a crime are that evident, then can you not ask at your local police station if they know anything untoward happening in that house??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by feefer72 View Post
    I am trying to find out how I would go about researching if a crime was committed in the house I am renting. I was made to sign a disclosure indicating that should I find out that a crime was committed in the property, that I would not be able to break my lease. No answers were given, and I have not been able to locate anything via google for the address, but I have found hints in the house that a massive crime was committed. A spray of tiny brown dots across the wall (in a spare room) that seem very strange, and other brown drops, and smudges in the same room that were never covered. Looks like blood, but the amounts seem indicative of a murder.

Any advise in researching this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Feefer:confused:

Hire an investigator, someone with a license who can access Police Reports. Stains and drops mean nothing unless someone with lab skills can test them for blood.

I don't understand why you are seeking the information if the lease states that if you find a crime was committed on the property you cannot break the lease - ?

I've also never seen that clause in any lease or rental agreement. What was the landlord's explanation for the need for that provision?
    Str8stack71 Posts: 94, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2009, 10:35 AM

Hmm... that's very interesting.. yes, that would have sent up a red flag with me also if I was asked to sign something like that... ask some neighbors maybe if they might have any info about it... either way, if you have already signed it, it doesn't look as though there is any way to get out of it... but it would be interestin to know the story.. good luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 03:25 PM

Well even if you had not signed a waiver, you can't break a lease just because a crime had been done there.

BUT>>>> if the brown spots are blood, then that is a health hazzard and they have to properly clear up a bio hazard, often they have to pay a special team to clean it up.

So you may requrie them to spend 1000's to clear this up.
    Joseph coco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 02:01 PM
    What are the legal rules regarding rental of a house for a period of five months. Owner did not disclose that a murder was committed in the house. (State of Florida)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph coco View Post
    What are the legal rules regarding rental of a house for a period of five months. Owner did not disclose that a murder was committed in the house. (State of Florida)
    I don't think there is anything legal to do with it, Joseph. Unless you are superstitious and believe in ghosts then who cares really. As long s you didn't see blood spatters anywhere, etc. A h ouse is a house.

How did you find out there was a murder there ?

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph coco View Post

What are you asking about? Breaking the lease for this reason?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental Property [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to find out about pre-foreclosures without paying hugh price

Contest of Florida property sold with undisclosed burial site [ 3 Answers ]

After my father died, my step-mother sold the property of our once family home, which included the remains of my two brothers, without consulting us or disclosing the burials to the organization that she sold them to. When my father buried the remains (cremated, vaulted) of my two brothers, he...

Rental Property [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California. I rented a home to a tenant, with a one year lease. Now, I don't think I'll be able to continue to pay the mortgage, even with the rental income. What happens if I'm unable to pay the mortgage and the house goes into foreclosure? Specifically, what happens to the tenant? ...

Theft under 5000/possesion of property obtained by crime [ 7 Answers ]

I got charged with for stealing some stuff from walmart. I'm living in ontario canada and I'm under 18... so what can I do..?

(canada) theft under and possession of property obtained by crime [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I am 21 and I got caught stealing some dvds in walmart today. And I got caught and they called the cops and I am charged with theft under and possession of property obtained by crime. So the story is I also steal a dvd yesterday and that's y they have to call the cops and also the charge of...

View more questions Search