Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7hokeyzz5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Used Auto Dealer Fraud
    I bought a car in N.C. in August, 2008. I got a bill of sale and took possession of the car with a 30 day tag. I live in Virginia and cannot get Va. Tags until dealer sends the title. Dealer has closed his doors and has gone out of business and is being charged with fraud in 30 cases. He sold cars without having possession of the titles and then didn't use the money he took in from the sales to pay off the liens of the cars. Now we can't get the titles from the floor planner company who is holding the titles until they are paid the money owed by the dealer who is now out of business and has no money. The floor planners will not talk to me about this. I have filed a claim with the surety bond company, but he floor planners will not give them any lien information either. What can I do to get a title so I can get tags for my car. I am paying the payments and insurance on a car which has been sitting for over 5 months.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 11:16 AM

Oh my, this is a messy situation. I haven't been involved with anything like this, but if I were you, I'd contact the Dept. of Transportation in your state; here's a link to their website:
    Motor Vehicle Dealer Board - Primary Function - Consumer Complaints
    You may very well have to sue the dealer and return the vehicle in order to get your money refunded.

Something I was wondering: you mentioned that you're "making payments" on the vehicle. Assuming that there was no lien on the vehicle when you obtained the financing for it, you might be able to get a copy of the title issued in your name by bringing your paperwork to the DMV.
    Jimdue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2013, 09:09 AM
    I am actually going through kind of the same thing right now with a vehicle that I bought almost two months ago from a private seller and he gave me a bill of sale and said he would pay the loan off on it to the bank and then when they sent him the title then he would deliver it to us but there is still a lean of the car and we haven't been able to get ahold of him he quite his job and changed his number... so we are going to the Law Library and see what kind of legal matter we can do to get our money back or at least the title to the car

I will keep in touch to tell you what I have found out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto dealer did not acquire consent [ 7 Answers ]

I believe an auto delaer defrauded me and used an electronic signature to paste it over many documents without consent... I did not know they were going to do it... does anyone know what the law is regarding this? Don't they need to disclose this to me in some way other than pasting the electronic...

Auto loan fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Im nervous about something after hearing someone's opinion... Over a year ago I received a bank loan to purchase a used vehicle - I bought it and was in love, until it began having mechanical problems. Forced with either the high cost of shop time or a new car I traded it in on a new...

Auto dealer withholding money [ 21 Answers ]

My mother went to a car auction back in February of this year. She was looking to purchase a car but was told that the auction was only open to those with dealer licenses, not the general public. The lady at the registration desk introduced her to a dealer who she said could help her in purchasing...

Deposit on auto contract signed - but dealer can't locate car [ 5 Answers ]

I just signed an contract for a new 2007 tiburon, I got the GT v6 with the sun and sound package, and I am ONLY looking for black/black, I put a 1,200 deposit on the car.. it says its non refundable, if I cancel... but what I want to know is what if the dealer can't find the car. How long do I have...

View more questions Search