Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robc68fb Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Jul 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Briggs & Stratton 12.5 hp issues - any advice?
    Hi,

I have a Murray riding mower with a 12.5 B&S vertical shaft motor. I recently did a dumb thing & not checked the oil for a while. Well, Here's what happened. The day the oil was low I had mowed some of the lawn & all of the sudden the engine slowed down really fast. So, I dis-engaged te blades & then the engine stopped. Fearing the worst, I let it cool & later figured out my mistake. I was able to rotate flywheel, so I decided to take the head off & see if I could see any damage. None was evident, so I smeared a little fresh oil on the cylinder wall & put the head back on. It fired right up & I mowed the rest of he lawn.

"Home free I thought". A week went by & I decided to mow the lawn, it started right up & lasted about 30 sec before the conectiong rod exploded.

So, I got a new connecting rod & gasket set, & tore the motor apart & put it back together. After I put it back together, it started right up & I let it run on 1/2 throttle for like 30-40 seconds & shut it down. I seemed to run good, but it seemed louder than normal. Anyway, I tried to start it again a minute later & it would not start. It fires & runs very weakly for a second or two, but nothing more than that. I thought maybe I had the gotten the rings lined up possibly, I took it apart again, & found that the top ring was just about in line with the oil rings on the bottom, but the ring in the middle was not in line with either set.

The only thing I could think it could be was a piston ring issue. So, I bought a set from Napa that .010 over. They said that carry .010 & .020 over & that is it. Should these work? Or, do I need to bore out the cylinder for those? Or, should I get the STD ones?

Any Thoughts/comments/suggestions/advice would be more than welcome! Thanks!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 09:48 PM
    You'd have to bore the engine .10 over, to put .10 over rings in it and a new piston to fit the new bore size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs & Stratton 12.5 hp issues continue... Can anybody help? [ 11 Answers ]

I've been struggling with problems with my 12.5 b&s vertical shaft motor. It ran low on oil a while back, it never seized... but it did stop from the friction. I simply took the head off & lubed the cylinder wall with oil & worked the piston by hand via the flywheel. I put the head back on & then...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

View more questions Search