Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cupcake1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 02:52 AM
    1st house South of a cemetery
    Has anyone ever heard that you should never live in the 1st house South of a cemetery, and why that would be?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 05:42 AM

A lot has to do with the newly dead. They like to roam around at night and any house near a cemetery can be inviting to them to visit.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 09:31 PM

Breaking a mirror will cause 7 years bad luck.
    Step on a crack and you'll break your mother's back.
    Same thing.

I know of someone who will hold his breath the entire time he drives past a cemetery. If you ask me, that's one way to wind up in one.

Some people are just suspicious beyond reason.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 13, 2009, 09:34 PM

Maybe it was inspired by this movie: House By The Cemetary Movie - The 80s Movies Rewind
    Or maybe the movie was inspired by the legend. Either way it's ridiculous.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Jan 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

I'm not familiar with the particular piece of folklore to which you refer. Many cultures identify a particular compass direction as being the direction in which one finds the gateway between our world and the world of the dead. For many Native Americans, it is the west. For Celtics, I read somewhere, it is north--somebody help me here, I'm not deeply versed in the Celtic pantheon: Isn't it the castle of Emania or something like that, land of Arianrhod? Many Christians connect it to the East, the rising sun/Son of the Day of Judgment, and even orient graves so that when the dead arise and sit up, they'll be facing toward Him when he arrives. But south? I don't know.

In my experience, a lot of deeply spiritual people end up living close to graveyards. And skeptics who are smart enough to know you can sometimes get real good deals on real estate, because the superstitious are scared off. ;)
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 13, 2009, 10:54 PM

When I was younger and still believed in all that stuff I spent a night in a house that bordered a cemetery. By bordered I mean within 5 feet. I couldn't sleep at all that night. Lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Book About Ghosts in a Cemetery. [ 2 Answers ]

Back in the late 80s I read a paperback book about spirits or ghosts lingering in a cemetery... getting to know each other. I don't remember why they were "stuck" there but I think they were all ages. Any ideas on a title? THANKS!

Cemetery plots [ 3 Answers ]

My family has cemetery plots in a city in Ohio where all my family is buried. No one has deed to plots and there are about 12 plots left the cemetery never asked for proof of ownership when we would burie some family member.know their saying we need a deed to open grave.no one knows where deed is...

Living above a cemetery [ 1 Answers ]

We built our home about two yrs ago.From early on things started happening.This land had never been developed by anyone till we moved here.I've found out there were settlers here.I'm what you would call a sensitive,my middle son who is 25 is one as well,my great grandmother,grandmother and mother...

Can a funeral director from tn take a body to a VA. Cemetery in Maryland? [ 1 Answers ]

The Funeral director needs to know if he can deliver a deceased person to a Veterans cemetery in Maryland without involving a Maryland funeral director.

View more questions Search