Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sethcran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 12:25 AM
    Which language to learn next?
    Just curious about some others opinions here.

I'm currently a Computer Science student looking to go into programming professionally. To be honest, I don't know exactly what I want to do with it. Game design and programming has always been especially fun but I haven't decided. I've recently been taking classes on C++ and feel like I have a fair grasp of the language at this point, but this is really the only language that my college focuses on.

I'd like to learn other languages, and eventually I intend to know quite a few, but I have to start somewhere. What languages should I concentrate on now for the sake of getting a job when I get out of school? What is going to be versatile enough to use in the many different jobs I may get, and what would otherwise benefit me the most in trying to find a job?

Thank you much!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Concentrate on C++. For second languages, having some familiarity with assembly language wouldn't hurt for gaming; for business processes, COBOL, Visual BASIC, or JAVA.
    Zurvan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 07:59 AM

Knowing a specific language after college isn't nearly as important as understanding programming. Good software companies that recruit grads don't care so much what languages you know, as that you have a wide range of experience and theory to back you up. They'll teach you the syntax of whatever language you need to know if they want you.

C++ is a good base in OOP, and you probably have some straight up C in there as well. I'd recommend you look at a completely different programming paradigm. Learn a scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP) or a functional language (F# (if you're in the .NET world), Haskell, Erlang, Lisp). Learning a new WAY of programming will do more to improve your skills than picking up Java or C#, for example, which are very similar to C++.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardest language to learn [ 18 Answers ]

What do you believe the hardest language is to learn? I would think english if I was't taught it from birth but italian is pretty confusing too.

Need to learn a new language. [ 11 Answers ]

Need to learn a new language... preferably Danish or Irish... I just think it will do 2 things in particular for me... 1) Well, ill have a new language to speak and write, I mean, how isn't that cool? Lol... 2) it will help me get my mind off less pleasing topics of my day... Any...

How to learn a language [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good method for learning languages English to Portuguese?

Learn Kazakh Language [ 2 Answers ]

:) Hello Friends, I intend to learn Kazakh Language. Where can I get informations about Kazakh Language ? Please show me the way, thank you. Anthony PMH 02/04/2005 10:50 am MDT :)

View more questions Search